Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Drive Constantly Disconnecting/Reconnecting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 crybllrd

crybllrd

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

The Problem:

I have a three year old Dell Inspiron 14R.

The Flash Drive is a simple Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0.

When I plug it in, it constantly disconnects and reconnects, sometimes more than two or three times a second.

When it does  manage to remain connected for more than a few seconds, as soon as a start a file transfer it will disconnect immediately.

Also there is a popup saying "(G:\) There is a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and find it."

If I click scan, immediate disconnect and failure to scan.

I have three USBSS ports on my laptop, all with the same problem (with this USB drive). 

It works flawlessly on my Xbox, another laptop, and at multiple computers at work, but it has never worked on this one. Other USB devices and flash drives work  perfectly.

What I've tried:

Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced power settings>USB settings>USB selective suspend  

I disabled both options. This worked for many people with this problem.

BIOS Disable Legacy USB

This didn't help.

Disable the USB controllers in the Device Panel.

Also didn't help.

Updated all my drivers for motherboard, USB, etc.

Still nothing,

What else can I try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:17 AM

Check the USB Flash Drive for errors by opening Command Prompt as a administrator and type Chkdsk X: /r command and press Enter key. Replace the X: letter with USB flash drive assigned drive letter.

Posted Image

#3 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

Check the USB Flash Drive for errors by opening Command Prompt as a administrator and type Chkdsk X: /r command and press Enter key. Replace the X: letter with USB flash drive assigned drive letter.

It isn't able to complete because of it disconnecting. It has about half a second before it disconnects.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

It isn't able to complete because of it disconnecting. It has about half a second before it disconnects.

I understand but have you try the Chkdsk command maybe this time it will work as no GUI is involved.

Posted Image

#5 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

Right, I'm saying I tried, I either get 

Cannot open volume for direct access.

or, on the off chance I push enter on the .2 seconds it's connected, I get:

The type of the file system is FAT32.

Cannot read boot sector.

then back to 

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

Right, I'm saying I tried, I either get 

or, on the off chance I push enter on the .2 seconds it's connected, I get:

Cannot read boot sector.

then back to 

Well looks like USB is malfunctioning or file system is damage try Chkdsk  X:  /r  /x   command this command  forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.

Posted Image

#7 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

It started again, but this time I was prompted with a choice to try again. I clicked try again, looked like it was working but it didn't do anything after the prompt.

It's been stuck here at 0% for almost 20 minutes now (no more prompts or anything).

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk g: /r /x
Volume Serial Number is DB83-25C9
Windows is verifying files and folders...
0 percent completed.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:29 PM

Don't interrupt the repair process time limit for repair to finnish is impossible scan and repair process can take long as half an hour or days it depends on size of the scanned device and how much files are store on it as well how bad is the device damage.

Posted Image

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

If the Chkdsk has not pass the zero percent scan progress within 30 minutes then follow the instructions at below website url link and run the Chkdsk again.

Cruzer flash drive NOT detected by Windows PC

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10

Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

Have you tried this flash drive on another computer?  Does it exhibit this behavior there?

Have you tried other ports on the computer?  Does it exhibit this behavior there?

Have you tried another flash drive that works without problems on another computer?  Does it exhibit the same behavior?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

Chkdsk never got past 0% (and I left it ton all night) 

I went to work today, the USB works perfect on every computer there.

Bought a new USB 3.0 sandisk (different model) and it works perfect.

My problem wasn't solved, but I live in Taiwan and a new 128GB drive was only about ~US$5, so it's no big deal.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:33 PM

Your very welcome, if you can execute the Chkdsk command from computer that USB flash drive works from if ChkDsk command still does not work even executed from different computer then the USB flash drive malfunctioning you should backup files store at USB flash drive. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users