Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor 1080p or 2k or 4k?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dr4w

Dr4w

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Hi. I need help because I'm going to buy a new monitor for gaming. I can't choose what monitor to buy between a (16:9) 1080p, 2k or 4k one or a 21:9 monitor. And also, I need an advice on choosing the refresh rate(60-144Hz).

PC Specs (most probably my GPU can't handle a 2k or 4k resolution on 60 fps):

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit)[3GB]

8GB Ram

My current monitor is a bleepty LG with 60Hz and a 1360x768 resolution. [19 inch]

My budget is around 400€ (less would be better ofc), I'm not planning change the GPU atm, because I can still play a lot of new games on ultra/high settings at 60 stable fps. I play all types of games, like gta5, dark souls 3, csgo, cod aw, bf3-bf4, lol etc. I also noticed that 21:9 monitors seems good for gaming, but I can't try them so I might be wrong.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

Looking to the future, the 4K units are too pricey yet to fit the 400 budget.  Your display interface needs to match what's available for monitor or even an HDTV unit.  HDMI is preferred, DVI has many levels that aren't supported by all video card builders and monitor manufacturers.  The 21:9 is widescreen and can be great for gaming if the game software supports it.

#3 Dr4w

Dr4w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

Looking to the future, the 4K units are too pricey yet to fit the 400 budget.  Your display interface needs to match what's available for monitor or even an HDTV unit.  HDMI is preferred, DVI has many levels that aren't supported by all video card builders and monitor manufacturers.  The 21:9 is widescreen and can be great for gaming if the game software supports it.

I thank you for the answer, but you didn't actually suggest something and I still don't have any idea on what to buy. Also, I don't wanna contradict you, but there are few 4k monitors that are around the 400€ budget (for example: https://www.amazon.it/Asus-UHD-1MS-2xHDMI-PB287Q/dp/B00JEZTC3I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465920091&sr=8-2&keywords=4k+monitor).

I'll wait for others responses anyway.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

I was only giving you some of the information you need to make your own decisions.  Interfaces can be quirky and some things just refuse to play nice together regardless of user reviews.  Until a unit is selected and actually tried out on your setup will you be able to see any difference.  Response times vary but the shorter the better.

#5 Dr4w

Dr4w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:50 AM

I was only giving you some of the information you need to make your own decisions.  Interfaces can be quirky and some things just refuse to play nice together regardless of user reviews.  Until a unit is selected and actually tried out on your setup will you be able to see any difference.  Response times vary but the shorter the better.

I intend to buy a 21:9 monitor, but they all have only high response time (5 m/s) and low refresh rates (60 Hz), and I don't know how play with them will be like. Also, I don't know if my hardware can handle a 4/2k monitor at 60fps while gaming. That's why I'm askin here for help.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

While the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 will support 4K resolution I seriously doubt you're going to be able to get decent FPS from it.  I'd suggest putting your money towards one of the new nVidia cards now and get the 4K monitor later.

Another thing to check is if your games support the resolution.  The 21:9 will be an issue if you need to click on things on screen. I got World of Warcraft running on three 1080p (5160x1080) monitors, it will do it, but not easily. The problem is that the interface wasn't easily adjustable so you spend most of your time moving your mouse across the desk.

Edited by Kilroy, 16 June 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

4k is way too pricey still, 1080p is still a good resulution sure 4k is better but the cost  factor will be high and not everything will look good on it.

Heck I have issues with 1080p on certain things both windows and linux

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users