Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wondering what a fair price for this setup would be?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bigsamlikesham

bigsamlikesham

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:46 AM

Hi all,

Currently looking to build a new system from scratch, nothing too fancy as although I enjoy to game I don't demand Ultra graphics or play many demanding titles.

Anyway here's what I was thinking.

Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case - Black

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3820 3.60GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor

Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz Quad Channel Kit RAM

Corsair Pro Series AX1200 High Performance 1200W '80 Plus Gold' Power Supply (bit overkill i know but makes future upgrading easy).

Asus GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Akasa AK-CC4008HP01 Venom Voodoo CPU Cooler

Anyway im looking to purchase this second hand off a chap who's upgrading to a new Rig, and was wondering what you would consider to be a fair price for this setup, considering I am based in the UK.

Many thanks,

BSLH.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

550-650 pounds would seem like a very reasonable price.

He's going to demand a lot more though as he paid a metric ton more for it then that. As a lot of the stuff he got is unnecessarily expensive for adding no real performance increase. People always seem to try to value their hardware at the price they paid for it and not what it's tangibly worth today, and even if they do they don't seem to factor that it's used into the price either. 

You could, in the UK, build a brand new PC for around 650 pounds that performed extremely similarly to (or better than) that out of brand new parts (based of Amazon UK current pricing of this post). Purely giving it the same price as the new same performing stuff since, despite being used (which greatly reduces their value), those are still high quality parts. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 bigsamlikesham

bigsamlikesham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hi SEANIA,

Thanks for the reply I was thinking around the £600 mark, but he seem to think £800 is a fair price so i think I shall take your advice and just build from scratch with new parts.

Any recommendations on a setup, budget is anywhere from £600-1000, but i would be willing to stretch a bit further especially if it allows for a future upgrades for when a decent amount of VR content begins to be released.

Im obviously not expecting major performance for that price range but would mainly just want a nice stable system, which is reliable and can play new titles on decent graphical setting.

Cheers,

BSLH.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the reply I was thinking around the £600 mark, but he seem to think £800 is a fair price so i think I shall take your advice and just build from scratch with new parts.

yeah tell him he's over valuing his parts and that he's not going to get anything near that except form some sap who doesn't know better. If you'd like, I could give you a long list of reason why his parts aren't worth that much, by individual part, so you can talk him down to 600. 

Any recommendations on a setup, budget is anywhere from £600-1000, but i would be willing to stretch a bit further especially if it allows for a future upgrades for when a decent amount of VR content begins to be released.

Im obviously not expecting major performance for that price range but would mainly just want a nice stable system, which is reliable and can play new titles on decent graphical setting.

YES I do have some recommendations. 

1: buy the slightly older i7-4790 (non k) from amazon UK for 250. It's 100 less then the new i7 6700, and only performs 10% worse (minuscule when it comes to games)

2: Don't buy a overcloking board. Cost literally twice as much as a regular one, or 4 times as much if its a high end one. Just get get a cheap 50 pound one from a reputable brand like ASUS, ASROCK, MSI, or Gigabyte. (cause the socket platofrm is on its way it they're real cheap right now. On clearance if you will.) Will have the exact same performance.

3: Buy a AMD R9 480 or R9 480x. They're out in a day or two if they aren't already. Just, insanely good bang for the dollar and are 200$ (don't know the UK price).

4: Buy 16GB of RAM. A little overkill right now, but some games are hinting at requiring it in the coming years (hence why your friend 32GB of RAM was no smart and a waste of money). Speed of the RAM doesn't matter. For games, all the speeds perform within 1 to 3 percent of each other (margin or error territory really). 

5: If you buy a SSD. How fast the SSD is doesn't matter. Just that you have a SSD. ADATA makes cheap solid drives. Think Crucial makes some nice cheap ones to.

um.. those are the big things I'd look for I guess. Less you wanted me to build you a specific list of the parts form Amazon UK or a UK PC parts site.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

I agree about the 4790 too along with a B85 motherboard. You don't have to buy a gaming branded or gaming themed board (that is mostly for show) for it to perform well and a B85 and 4790 will perform great.

Edited by Zone_86, 17 June 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#6 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

Try to get Powercolor Radeon r9 380 Its more good than asus gtx 770.

Edited by LiamP5, 17 June 2016 - 12:04 PM.

To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Did...did you not even read the post?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?

People like you really bug me. GO back, read the post, realize what you posted has zero application to the topic, and rethink your posting habits. 

#8 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

Did...did you not even read the post?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?

People like you really bug me. GO back, read the post, realize what you posted has zero application to the topic, and rethink your posting habits.
I read the post well, just trying to explain that amd r9 380 is even good than gtx 770 so try to get r9 380 for your pc to maintain games well. SEANIA you cannot directly scream while giving good answers try to know what is the meaning of other answer, just only give your opinion don't behave rude to other.

Edited by LiamP5, 17 June 2016 - 09:12 PM.

Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#9 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

I read the post well, just trying to explain that amd r9 380 is even good than gtx 770 so try to get r9 380 for your pc to maintain games well. SEANIA you cannot directly scream while giving good answers try to know what is the meaning of other answer, just only give your opinion don't behave rude to other.

So you didn't read the post, and still haven't read it. The 770 isn't in a build he's building. It is in one he was considering buying 2nd hand and wanted to know what a reasonable price for the system would be, in British Pounds. Not if there was parts better then what's in it, or if he could swap them out for something better. 

What you suggested, has no bearing on the situation. You just generically scanned over the post and made a assumption.

Not only that, but the R9 380 is being replaced here in a few days for the 480 that has twice the performance for the same price. Making it a waste to buy one now.

Literally. Nothing of what you said was helpful.

#10 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

Yes i know it is 2nd hand and i also know he has not build his computer right now and i know few days late rx 480 but until that could he buy rx 480 i know it is topic how much could it be to buy that pc just trying to explain r9 380 far away better than gtx 770 so you have not right to tell whose answer is right or wrong. You just help him in your way and i in mine way
Be happy, always try
for it

#11 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:21 PM

Yes i know it is 2nd hand and i also know he has not build his computer right now and i know few days late rx 480 but until that could he buy rx 480 i know it is topic how much could it be to buy that pc just trying to explain r9 380 far away better than gtx 770 so you have not right to tell whose answer is right or wrong. You just help him in your way and i in mine way

Your grammar is bad. I understood none of that. It seems either like you're trying to back track now, either that or it's the same not-so-good grammar that caused you to misread all these posts in the first place (it obviously isn't a first language). Maybe a combination of both? 

Edited by SEANIA, 17 June 2016 - 10:21 PM.

#12 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:27 PM

Sorry for being rude and bad grammar. I am trying to help him by not buying old graphic card try r9 380.
Be happy, always try
for it

#13 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:38 PM

Sorry for being rude and bad grammar. I am trying to help him by not buying old graphic card try r9 380.

He's not buying a old 770 graphics card. He was considering buying a entire, already built, used computer that has those parts in it. He wouldn't be able to tell the guy "put X video card in there instead and I'll buy it". He wanted to know what it was worth, not what "would be a lot better if the machine had this in it instead". 

There is no "try the r9 380 instead", because there is no "try instead" option. 

Again, sure this is just a grammar mistake on your end for what he was asking. That or you now back stepping from skimming a post. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users