Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder Will Not Delete. "access Denied"- Not System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

Calling all Geeks....ok here goes, short to the point. I installed FoxitPDFreader from a zip file. It contained a stand-alone foxitpdfreader.exe program. I installed it during which I chose the option to make it my default reader (instead of my usual Acrobat). The program installed and I saw the Foxit Reader screen. I clicked it off, then put the .exe into a folder and moved it from MyDocuments to the C:Program Files directory for my reference. Then, I tried to use the Foxit Reader by double clicking a .pdf but nothing happened, the PDF didn't open. I then right-clicked the .pdf and went to "open with" but the Foxit was not listed among the programs, just Adobe, as if Foxit did't exist.

I then went back to the Foxit folder I had moved to C:Program Files (I had named the folder "FoxitPDFReader") but Windows showed the folder I had moved just 5 min. before 'empty'!! What tha?
Then I tried to open the folder and got "Access denied" to the ??empty folder. So I successfully moved the empty folder back to MyDocuments, but still could not open it. Of course, there was no uninstall program in the .zip, just the stand-alone .exe.
Also, when I installed it, Foxit changed all my Adobe icons to ugly, low pixel somethings. CilyPudi just wanted to get rid of this thing. So I tried Unlocker, but no locking handle found, so I chose 'delete on reboot'. Still the folder would not delete after reboot. I couldn't use MoveOnBoot because I couldn't get to the .exe file. I tried to shred the folder with TracksEraser Pro but the folder survived.

Next, I used RegSeeker to remove all Foxit registry entries. It found 15 entries and I deleted them hoping to at least restore my 831(ha) Adobe icons. That didn't work, and still the folder is "access denied". Another try with Unlocker delete on reboot did not work. RegSeeker finds no more registry entries and my Google Desktop finds no sign of Foxit except the undeletable empty folder. It still doesn't shred. It persists and now will not allow me to move it or put anything into it.

I have never encountered this and I am no newbie. For good measure, I did an online scan with Housecall and Panda. I run on my system and scanned in Safe Mode with the following: BitDefender, Spyware Doctor, AntiVir, NOD32, PestPatrol, SpySweeper, SpyDefense, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Ewido, Spy Emergency, a-Squared, CCleaner, F-Secure Blacklight, Rootkit Revealer and Rootkit Hook Analyzer. The only thing found by all this was some cookies. I keep my OS clean as possible.

Now, I don't know what else to do so I humbly come crawling to you guys for help to remove this empty folder. Thanks in advance.

Edited by cilypudi, 10 August 2006 - 05:20 PM.

The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:04 AM

I then right-clicked the .pdf and went to "open with" but the Foxit was not listed among the programs, just Adobe, as if Foxit did't exist

When you tried opening a pdf and did not see Foxit Reader listed, did you try right clicking, choose Open with > choose Program and then browse to the folder where you placed the .exe?

I use Foxit Reader all the time and have it set as my default for .pdf. Works great.

However, since you don't want it, did you try using System Restore to return to a previous state before unzipping/installing Foxit Reader?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

Hey quietman7. No, I didn't browse to the folder as you suggested. I have really never had to do this before. I thought Windows automatically recognized all programs available to open each type of file extension. I did just now did as you said and I do see how I could have browsed to that folder. Just never had to do it. Now I know.

Anyway, now I'm stuck with this empty impenetrable folder in My Documents. There is not a residue of Foxit in my system. I even searched around with regedit and found nothing. I would just like to get rid of this , I guess harmless, folder. I definitely do not want to do a System Restore over the folder as it has been sitting there for 3 days and I have done way too much work to remove it all.

There must be some simple way to delete it. I have never encountered this, and I am most curious what Windows is doing to hold onto such a non-essential folder, and why.

The folders string must be somewhere and I would like to know how to find it. I browsed it to death. That's why I came here. I mean, its hardly more than an icon. Shouldn't be a big deal to remove should it? I definitely don't want to do a System Restore over it. Heck, I'd rather just hide it and move on!

But no, not really, this is my system and I want total control, or whatever Mr. Gates allows. I want to know how to remove the folder if technically possible.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:32 PM

Benefit of using system restore possibility 1:
By using system restore to the point before you moved the folder from My Documents, you MIGHT be able to properly uninstall the program through Add/Remove programs. However, if you have DELETED the program folders, this might not be possible without reinstalling the program in order to then uninstall it.

Benefit of using system restore possibility 2:
Choose a date and time just before you installed Foxit Reader, and the folder will probably go away on its own.

As for the folder not opening right now, you have removed the registry keys related to this program without first uninstalling and deleting the program. Consequently, the computer can't open the folder as there are no directions in the system for how to do so! It's like a cell without the DNA, RNA and all the other cell brains. The cell doesn't know what to do: it can't take in insulin, remove waste or anything. It just sits there. By doing a system restore to the point before you moved the folder, you should be able to open it.
--------------
To prevent the problem you had to begin with here is what I do when I download and install a program:

I download a program to a disk or flash drive. I either select or create a folder which I name to put the downloaded program into so I can find it. Then I install the program from there. The installation program should by default create a program folder for it on your C drive. This always works for me.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

Have you tried deleting it, in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Have you tried renaming the file, then deleting it?
Name it anything you want, like trash, old, useless, ........ whatever.

Have you checked the folder's Properties?
Right click the folder, and select Properties.
Make sure it's not set to Read-only.
If it is, uncheck it, click Apply, and click OK.
Now try to delete it.

There's also this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article that might be helpful:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

Thank You all for your suggestions. I am sure a System Restore would work, but I cannot restore back to the 7th, too much work would be lost. The folder still would not delete in safe mode. I removed the registry keys because I could not access the folder containing the original setup .exe. I still wonder why the folder "became empty" when I moved it to the C: directory. It did not have an uninstall program. I have 'Your Uninstaller' but it did not recognize the installation.

I did uncheck the read-only box in properties, but it still would not delete. It will not allow me to rename it or move it either. I also did these things in Safe Mode. The folder is not locked by a process.
I read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article and it says in the folders Properties, click on Security, but I don't see that option. I did click on "shared" and tried to move the folder to "shared documents" but it will not move.

Anyway, thanks for your help and I'll just hide the thing. I'm sure it's harmless. I was curious about how to deal with it. Thanks again.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

Try deleting it using the 'DelinvFile' utility.
Go here.
Click on 'Download DelinvFile'.
Once installed, launch the program, navigate to the file/folder in question and try deleting it.

or WINFILE.EXE.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

Hooorraayyy!!!! I solved the problem just fooling around! What I did was, in Properties I clicked on Sharing, then on a whim checked "Make this folder private". Then, the empty folder deleted normally to the Recycle Bin. I then went to the Recycle Bin and and there it was! with all 2.76MB of the FoxitPDFReader.exe inside! It then allowed me to delete it from the Recycle Bin.

I chose to make it private based on all the tips about administrator privileges and just gave it a shot. Further, I accomplished this in Normal Mode.

Based on my searching, I'd bet this is the only site with this tip! It sure worked for me.
I didn't get a chance to try DelinvFile but I save it for the future.

FYI, I read that folders cannot be Read-only, just files.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users