Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just a few interesting Observations...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

The various OS's represented on BC's community index...number of topics...number of replies....and an average number of replies per topic

The figures are rough(ish)

total topics                     Replies                          Average replies per topic
Windows 8/8.1            28600                          4800                                           6

Windows 10                     23000                        2600                                       9

Windows 7                      112000                        18360                                   7

Windows BSOD's                 11100                      1740                                    6

Linux                                 36000                         3200                                     11

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 June 2016 - 11:06 PM.
moved from Linux & Unix

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

Hmm...The people in the linux section want to learn? :whistle:

KIDDING

Edited by 66Batmobile, 13 June 2016 - 08:19 PM.

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

....and they get more attention than any of the other forums.....

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,085 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:30 PM

One of the reasons is that there are several ways to do the same things in Linux, Another reason is members stray off topic from time to time?

You will notice I say members stray off topic, Why? Because we all know that anything a staff members says is on topic. :hysterical:

EG

OP Question.... Hi how do I install Linux?

Staff Reply.............. Well today I did my laundry and paid my bills on line,....... This is in no way off topic.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:46 PM

Well, in this section, aren't we on topic if we use the word "linux" a lot? :devil:

In all seriousness, the biggest thing is probably just the overall amount of ground covered, this being a "general" section on the site-topics from "Which distro should I use" to "How do I install" to "troubleshooting" to "Look what I did".

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:47 PM

Pssssst...the Linux count is for 12 years...don't think Windows 10 has been around that long.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:10 AM

Well, in this section, aren't we on topic if we use the word "linux" a lot? :devil:

In all seriousness, the biggest thing is probably just the overall amount of ground covered, this being a "general" section on the site-topics from "Which distro should I use" to "How do I install" to "troubleshooting" to "Look what I did".

Yeah but Bats - it (THE TOPIC) got moved.

I've moved house from one Linux-friendly house to another Linux-friendly house. I have a new topic in the Linux (& Unix, remember that, also FreeBSD is welcome) Section.

Lol, used Linux a few times.

Hey Brian, like the stats.

Bats again

Hmm...The people in the linux section want to learn? :whistle:

They already have, they're using Linux.

Buddy, like the new avatar, what sort of butterfly is that?

Oops off topic - Well today I did my laundry and paid my bills on line

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

The tips of the wings is what is so interesting...kinda snaky

Diogenes.Attacus_atlas_male.jpg

Attacus atlas – Atlas moth. This specimen is a captive male at the Museum of the Academy of Natural History of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 oldguyjesse67

oldguyjesse67

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:00 PM

Windows 7 ftw.. lol

#10 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

@wiz

Yeah but Bats - it (THE TOPIC) got moved.

Well, then it becomes "out of context" instead of "off topic" :P

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

Post #1 The statistics you've posted, what date range are they for? The whole lifetime of the forum? The previous year? Would just like to know to get an idea of the rate of posts being made in the various forum sections as well as the amount of replies topics tend to get.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

@ rp88.....G'day !.....I must confess I did not do what i usually do. I would normally dig and dig until I had a really good deep tranche of data and then dissect it in such a fashion that it was as accurate as possible ....

However...on this occasion I simply went to the community index and took the prevailing figures for each os on that particular day (14th june 2016)

So are the figures a "bit rough"..?....hell yes  !!

Did the establishment of the post spur some thought that otherwise may not have taken place....I hope so !....because that was the purpose/aim of the post.

It is my contention that over the past few months there has been a definite increase in the interest shown in Linux. Interest is one thing...people actually installing and "owning" an install is perhaps quite something else.

If I, in my own way, encourage someone to take the extra step....extend that little bit of extra effort...to actually have a good experience with one of the many distributions of Linux....then my efforts will have not been in vain. 

Having a good experience to me means that the bs surrounding all things linux is swept out of the way for sufficient time for the person to actually 'self realise' that what he/she is experimenting with is actually doable/practical/can work in their circumsrtances.

I ramble....I am actually going off topic in my own topic !!

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:58 AM

It is my contention that over the past few months there has been a definite increase in the interest shown in Linux.

That's a good thing, and not a surprise when the immediate competition is looked at (W10). Linux usage has jumped to over 2% usage for the second time in history. :guitar:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/

In case it's hard to find.

1BvGork.png

Notably, Windows usage has fell below the magical number of 90%, a position they've held for years. Now that they have, it's time to see if this is a fluke or trend! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 July 2016 - 04:02 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

Post #13
For clarity is that linux usage as in ubuntu,mint,debian,puppy... and the other usual desktop/laptop linux operating systems. or is it a count of everything linux based, so counting android phones and all sorts of other things alongside linux on normal computer systems. For that matter is it counting linux running on servers and supercomputers (all but 2 of the top 500 use linux of some kind or another)?

Edited by rp88, 27 July 2016 - 01:33 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:11 PM

What I found interesting are the different types of questions in the android forum vs the iOS forum. Not to be rude, but certain hardware draws in Luddites like moth to a flame IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users