Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solid amber light Dell Inspiron 3000 I3847-4617BK.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Frogpie

Frogpie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

So we had the power blinking on and off a little bit today, it was a bit windy outside so I assumed it was from that. I was on my computer, watching a movie, nothing abnormal, the lights flicker a little and my computer shuts off. I go to turn it back on, the fans power on full blast and the power button is amber, no video. I reseated the graphics card, unplugged the computer and held down the power button, tried the power strip trick, removing the battery, reseated the memory, checked for popped caps, not in that order. Am I missing anything? I think it may be the power supply, I don't have another one to try or any equipment to test it. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

p.s. specs

Dell Inspiron 3000 I3847-4617BK

Sentey MBP750-HM Power Supply, 750 watts, 80 Plus Bronze Modular

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-1962-KR 4GB SC GAMING, 6.8 Inch

Intel Core i5-4460 LGA 1150 CPU 

2x PNY Performance 4GB DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 Desktop Memory - MD4GSD31600NHS-Z

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

On Dell's, the amber power light indicates either a bad power supply, a memory problem, or a failed system board.

Did you keep the original power supply?

If you did, take out the GTX960, hook the monitor back to the onboard video, and try the original power supply.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Frogpie

Frogpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

On Dell's, the amber power light indicates either a bad power supply, a memory problem, or a failed system board.

Did you keep the original power supply?

If you did, take out the GTX960, hook the monitor back to the onboard video, and try the original power supply.

I borrowed a power supply today, tested it and my computer powered on and worked fine, so the power supply was the issue. Such a pain considering I bought it less than 4 months ago. Just seemed weird to me that it died when the lights were blinking. Maybe it's not that weird, just a coincidence.  Thank you for the you reply, much appreciated!

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:43 PM

A poor / erratic / surging mains supply can destroy PSUs - so not weird & not coincidence.

Edited by rqt, 15 June 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

"So we had the power blinking on and off a little bit today" Power that goes out and stays out is rarely a problem. When the power blinks several times is far more dangerous!
If its 4 months old, you ought to be able to get it replaced under warranty.

#6 Frogpie

Frogpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

I didn't know that! Thank you both. I'll check the warranty information and see what can be done. I have a surge protector power strip, I thought that would protect me, guess not. Any suggestions? It gets windy here so it's not unusual for the power to go on and off a bit every once in awhile.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:18 PM

Tripp lite isobar surge protectors are, by far and away, the best you can get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1%208000&IsNodeId=1&Description=tripp%20lite%20isobar&bop=And&Order=BESTSELLING&PageSize=30

#8 Frogpie

Frogpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Awesome, thank you! Not too expensive either. Definitely will be picking one up.

#9 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:21 PM

Surge protected power strips wear out, & are not best suited to use with a flaky mains supply such as you apparently have. Maybe you should consider getting an Uninterruptable Power Supply unit to help overcome the shortcomings of your electrical supply.

Edited by rqt, 15 June 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#10 Frogpie

Frogpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thank you, I'll definitely consider that. Any recommendations as far as the ups? 

#11 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

APC are always a safe bet for UPS units.

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:35 AM

We had a client with over $500,000 of equipment who literally had lightning blow a hole through their roof and it fused the plugs into all of their surge protectors; but, none of their equipment was damaged! Those Isobar's have orders of magnitude better surge protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users