Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer reboots while gaming !

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rockybilly

Rockybilly

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

Hi dear community,

I am using Windows 10 64-bit OS with a Toshiba Satellite C855-26U laptop.

Here is some properties of the computer

Bios: 6.20

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Now let me explain my problem,

This computer is like 3 years old, and about a year ago, I wanted to open the laptop and clean the fan because there was some heating problem. Not too bad, but I thought it was gonna get worse so I wanted to clean it.(Did not use gloves) After I finished, I reassembled the laptop and started using, however, there was some problem. While gaming, computer was rebooting after some time of game time. This was unpredictable because it can happen after 15 minutes or 4 hours of game play. I made some tests to find out the problem, nothing professional of course, just like checking the heat, using different adapter so on. This was a year ago so I cannot remember all but I also remember doing some cpu stress tests, the computer passed them fine. But I can apply them again if necessary. Now allow me to specify the characteristics of the problem in a list because I find them confusing.

• It happened once while not gaming.
  • We switched computers with my father because he didn't play any games. He says he did not encountered any issue in a year with this computer.
  • The problem existed before upgrading to Windows10
  • Taking off the charger and playing a game while on battery power prevents this problem.
  • I tried using another adapter, the problem persisted.
  • When the problem occurs, The computer reboots, but sometimes it does not reboot, the screen goes black, the computer keeps running for a while(all functions disabled). And then shuts down without rebooting. This happens in a arbitary order, cannot determine which one will happen.

Now let me share some of my opinions on the problem,

I don't thinks it's the charger because I tried another one and the problem started just after I disassembled the laptop to clean the fan. My best guess why removing the charger prevents the problem is because it reduces the computer performance so it prevents some kind of overloading(not sure). So my guess about the problem is that the static electricity on my hand may disrupted a circuit part somewhere on the computer while cleaning the fan. I wanted to know if you had any idea about the problem and which part may be corrupted, or is there any methods to find more about this problem. I wait your respond.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rockybilly, 13 June 2016 - 06:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:34 AM

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about a laptop as most of the parts aren't replaceable.

Still, you can start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Let us know the results and we'll move on from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rockybilly

Rockybilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:26 PM

I made the GPU stress test, my graphic card reached 60 C max. And I used the CPU burner, my cpu temperature stabilizes at 84 C while doing that test. I do not know what to make of these however. ( Computer didn't cause any problem during the tests)

CPU heat is 50-55 C idle.

Note: CPU heat also reached 80-82 C with the charger removed. So CPU heat seems unlikely the cause of the problem given that removing the charger prevents the problem. Also I thought CPU heat causes computer shutdowns rather than reboots, at least it was like that in my previous toshiba computer.

Edited by Rockybilly, 14 June 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:12 AM

I would investigate your CPU cooling solution.

With a laptop, the first thing to do is to blow out all the vents with canned air (DON"T USE an air compressor or a vacuum as they can physically damage the components).

Beyond that, I'd post over in the Internal Hardware forums for some advice from the experts there:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/

I'm uncertain of what controls the reboot vs shutdown in the Toshiba BIOS, but suspect that there are actions defined in the BIOS for these events.

Edited by usasma, 15 June 2016 - 05:14 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users