Jump to content
Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:56 PM
Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:53 PM
Do you mean if the insulation on the leads gets broken and the internal wiring exposed ?
In part, at least, it depends where the tear is. If it is between the wall and the transformer unit this is dangerous to you ! This wiring is running at either 110V or 240V AC and is capable of giving a lethal shock. If there is a fault in this wiring then you are by far better throwing it away and buying a new lead. Almost all chargers use one of two mains connector leads - either one with two wires and what is called a 'figure of eight' connector to the transformer unit or three wires and a triangular plug. Both of these are readily available.
If you are talking about the low voltage lead from the transformer unit to the laptop you are typically dealing with 18 - 20 V AC. This is considered a 'safe' voltage - you would be unlucky to get more than at most a 'tingle' from it. These leads contain two conductors. If even one of them is breached, the 'by the book', 'health and safety' reply would be 'throw it away and replace'. If only one conductor is exposed you can reasonably safely wrap it with insulating tape and carry on using it.
To be completely clear. The risk is not particularly to your laptop or its new battery. The risk is to you - getting killed; to your house - going on fire; or to the charger transformer - blowing it up ! The laptop might survive all these mishaps, but you and your house might not. Bared wires - replace !
If both conductors are exposed at the same place, it is possible to reasonably safely repair the lead, but my advice would be to bin it and buy a new charger.
I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:52 PM
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users