Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jearoon

Jearoon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

Basically I need to learn more about external hard drives, so would appreciate any help/advice v much :thumbsup:

My PC as it stands only has 40GB hard disk space in total, and it's pretty much full. So I'm looking around for more space. I'm interested in external hard drives as I could have my laptop access the data as well as my PC. These external hard drives are apparently very useful for backing up documents etc but I was wondering if they could be used more 'actively' - I mean, could I actually put music files and have my media player detect and play them just as quickly and efficiently as if they were on my 'normal' hard drive? Or could I actually have whole software packages or video games downloaded to the external drive, and still be able to use/play them without trouble? Or would I be better of just getting a standard in-the-tower new hard drive?

I suppose my question is essentially: can external hard drives do everything normal hard drives can, with equal efficiency? :flowers:

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:22 PM

I have an external HD I used with my laptop and it could perform things such as running media files and was fast enough to play games off of. There may be a slight delay in getting the info over firewire or USB. If you are going to use it as you said, I would make sure the external HD and your computer was able to use USB 2.0, this will allow for quick transfers to and from the HD. Overall, the best option for increased space is an internal HD, but, they can be a little tricky to install and you can't just unplug them and take it with you for use in a laptop.

3939.png

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:29 PM

Yes external HDs are very useful, and u can store your media files (pics,music, videos ext.) and play them, as well as games.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#4 Jearoon

Jearoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

Ok, thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

Do you think this one would be a good buy?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

It looks good.

3939.png

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:56 PM

I would suggest a Seagate drive because they come with a five year warranty (in the US - not sure about where you are but worth checking)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users