Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Clean

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Calvinator

Calvinator

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

Most everywhere I go, I'm advised to "clean" my registry. PC Tools has "Regestry Mechanic", says is free, then offers to clean my registry for $30.

How does one insure that the registry is optomized?

While I'm at it (I will post this under "Program Ended" also): Out of the blue some programs just "end". Some at shutdown; most are programs I'm not aware are running. They include: mediahub.exe; iexplore.exe; sbeserver.exe; slpmonx service (Smart Label Printer, I think); Outlook; Firefox. Any idea as to why these shut down?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:03 PM

Hi Calvinator

A list of freebies can be found here.
Check out post#12 for automatic registry backups etc.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

If you don't know what you are doing with the registry, leave it alone. You can seriously mess up your computer otherwise.

If you need assistance with the registry, ask specific questions in order to get the assistance you need from someone who DOES know what he or she is doing in the registry. If you have already done stuff in the registry, it may have been the cause of so many programs having problems.

Many 'registry cleaners,' including registry mechanic, will say that a key is bad or corrupt and say that it needs to be fixed, however, doing so may cause programs to malfunction or not work at all. I've made that mistake in the past. Rule of thumb: if you don't know what a key is or what program it belongs to - leave it alone and ask about it.

It is always wise to have a system restore point made before deleting or changing any keys in the registry, so that if something backfires, you can roll back to an earlier point to reverse the damage. It was the presence of a restore point that enabled me to undo the damage I did by not knowing what I was doing.

Please, don't make the mistake I made,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:48 AM

The truth is your registry can have hundreds, perhaps even thousands of obsolete entries and still work perfectly fine.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

A nifty little thing that I just found - you can link to a particular post in a thread by using the link on the right side of the post.

I prefer the last freeware version of JV16 PowerTools for any registry pruning that I do. That way I'm the only one to blame if my registry tanks on me (it requires you to decide which to delete).

Finally, it sounds like you may have a problem with these programs "ending". Could you describe in more detail about when they end? iexplore.exe, Outlook, and Firefox should end when you tell them to. And, if they're still open when you try to shutdown - they'll have to end in order for the computer to shutdown.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

That tip about linking to the post # is going to be SOOOO useful John.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 pacificoast

pacificoast

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, as I find this site a bit confusing.

So, here goes.

As per advice given to me in the *hiJackthis* section of this forum, I have used a registry cleaner by Ace Utilities . Instructions were to *Download and install the trial version of Ace Utilities. Ace Utilities

But it has expired. Is this program worth purchasing at $29.00?

If not are there freeware programs that are safe to use for this purpose?

And does cleaning the registry speed up or enhance computer performance?

And is there a part of this forum that can guide me through maximizing my XP notebook's performance?

Thanks,
pacificoast

Edited by pacificoast, 17 September 2006 - 06:16 PM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,845 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

Are you still being helped in HiJack This? If so, direct your question to your helper.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

I prefer the last freeware version of JV16 PowerTools for any registry pruning that I do. That way I'm the only one to blame if my registry tanks on me (it requires you to decide which to delete).

Yep , always worked like a charm for me . Also liked indexdat suite.
left ids on auto and never had a problem. YMMV. :thumbsup: (win98)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#10 pacificoast

pacificoast

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

Thanks Orange Blossom, but my hijackthis work was finished and closed.

no one. Thanks for your reply. I did look through the section of all the registry cleaners and was wanting to go with one that was as safe as the ace one.

I'll peek at the one that you said you'd had no problems with when using the auto settings. I don't want to have to guess when I might be messing up my registry. EEK.

I am still wondering if there is a part of this site dedicated to getting XP to perform better. My computer is doing weird things. like having the CPU usage jump from 5% to 100% for no apparent reason.

I am going to go back and look to see what was done to help with me this on the hijackthis section, but I do recall that each step of the work required someone to look it over and give me instructions on how to proceed.

Thanks for any help you can give.

pacificoast

Edited by pacificoast, 21 September 2006 - 07:29 PM.

#11 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:39 AM

no one. Thanks for your reply. I did look through the section of all the registry cleaners and was wanting to go with one that was as safe as the ace one.

I'll peek at the one that you said you'd had no problems with when using the auto settings. I don't want to have to guess when I might be messing up my registry. EEK.
pacificoast

Hay there
you will want to back up your reg just to be safe (can't remember if it does it or not) also don't know how well it will work on xp , a whole different animal than 98, but it did do a bang up job for me. :thumbsup:
this one worked pretty well and I used it a lot as well,(more than the others actually) runs automagicly on your next start-up like ids.
http://www.imilly.com/winclean.htm#system
of course I used the win98 ver. but she has one for xp as well. Pay heed to all warnings, and remember ,make a back up first. :flowers:
(I believe it's a system restore point for xp)

Edited by no one, 22 September 2006 - 01:41 AM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:00 PM

Give Windows Live Onecare Free Scan a try. It includes a registry cleaner and its freeware.
(It might take a couple of hours to do the complete job as it dumps temp files and defrags too.)
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

#13 pacificoast

pacificoast

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Enthusiast,

I'm going to give Windows Live Onecare look/see too. I want to be careful with what I do to this machine, and would love to have a free registry cleaner.

Thanks for your time.

pacificoast

Edited by pacificoast, 24 September 2006 - 08:51 AM.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

The Windows One Care scan is from Microsoft and therefore I would trust it as safe for non-experts.

Any other will work well but YOU must be expert enough to use it and choose what it alters/deletes.

The One Care Scan also makes a backup (System Restore Point) before it changes anything.

In adition, I recommend using a program named Erunt which will make registry backups on a schedule you set (or on demand) which are easy to restore because they have an executable built in to the registry copy for which all that is required to restore it is that you click on it to restore the backup copy.

It acts as a fail safe for System Restore as it can be used to restore the registry if a System Restore point fails (for whatever reason as it sometimes seems to do).

Erunt Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 September 2006 - 11:00 AM.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:59 AM

I used the scan recommended by Enthusiast for the first time the other day and was amazed at it's capabilities. I'd expect that it will become the primary online scan that we recommend when diagnosing problems.

It found many, many problems in my registry (almost 800 - I'm not real good a preventive maintenance!). I checked most of them and they were valid - so I let it fix them all. It hasn't caused a problem with my system, so I'd suggest using it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users