Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

making my keyboard recognize gmail as default

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mejim

mejim

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

Hi,

I have a POS system that uses windows XP as the OS (this is how it came when new). I use a wireless mouse and keyboard with this system. 

I like to use Google Chrome as my browser however I rarely have a need for a browser. Just gmail.

My question:

I have a keyboard that has convienence buttons on it: "computer"; "home"; "email"; "volume" etc Now when I push the button that takes me to email it takes me to outlook express which I don't want to do. I would like to push that button on the keyboard and have it take me to gmail on Chrome.

Anyone know how to do this? Would I have to open Chrome first before accessing gmail? <- If so, this would be inconvenient but I am hopeful that I can make my keyboard take me to gmail without any hassles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2016 - 11:15 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:39 PM

Who is the manufacturer of the keyboard and the model? You probably have a setup menu for the keyboard for the keys. But since gmail is browser based I don't think the email function can be mapped that way. It appears that your 'convenience buttons' are linked to executable programs/applications. Hence email opens a mail client. Not a browser and specific URL.

What you can do is set gmail to be read in outlook express, instead of a webpage. That would be the easiest workaround for the convenience buttons.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

Please post the manufacturer/model as requested by Animal.

Depending on that, there may be a way to program it for opening a webpage.

I have a keyboard which allows me to program 5 favorites keys for webpages or programs.

#4 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:30 PM

Okay thanks.

The Keyboard is a HP wireless unit.

The Model is a KBi

PN - LV290AA

***  I did try to import gmail into outlook express and couldn't get past the incoming IMAP/POP and smtp outgoing login splash screens. I'd login in and get rejected over and over.I double checked passwords but nothing worked.

And yes, I did enabled forwarding in gmail settings like I said in both IMAP and POP3 neither worked but don't know what I did wrong there if anything.

I keep getting warning's that Windows XP is not supported so I just kind of gave up. If you have and idea what I am doing wrong here I'd like to hear it please :-) . 

Edited by mejim, 15 June 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:03 PM

Would you rather troubleshoot getting a email client to work or getting the email button to open something else?

The reason IMAP might not be working is because outdated SSL certificates. Are you running service pack 2+? Also, do you have POP enabled in gmail? AFIK gmail doesn't allow POP3/SMTP on 110/143 anymore so if you can't get SSL to work then web access is way to go.

How about setting your default browser's home page to gmail then use the "Home Button" for gmail? 

#6 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:27 AM

Hi Trikein,

Yeah, I'm just trying to make it simple because sometimes I have a helper send the reports home for me with this POS (point of sale). If I push the button and outlook express comes up and it works, then yes, this is what I want. I'm not thrilled with outlook express because of it's chronic problems trying to clean up and then failing every time. But it is simple and works good for convenience and linking in with my keyboard.

I would like to use gmail since that is the registered email I use with Google chrome but making the keyboard recognize it and linking it to the keyboard is not working. I guess the best thing to do is to register my gmail in outlook express but it keeps rejecting gmail incoming and smtp outgoing saying I need to login over and over.

You say the SSL certificate is out of date? I'm not sure what service pack is installed. Like I said, I rarely use the browser for anything. Since the OS is XP, microsoft won't give me any updates or support for this OS. Can I still get those updates anyway? 

Would you suggest I just use POP and not deal with IMAP? Or is IMAP better in this situation? Should I turn off IMAP if I enable POP or do I turn them both on? I think they wanted me to use 465 and 993 (or 587) for outgoing and incoming.

FYI: This POS system worked fine but I had a satellite service provider who went out of  business then my problems began after microsoft didn't want to help with XP anymore.

I'm tired...hope this isn't hard to understand.

Jim 

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

I suggest using the home button instead of the email button. The email button will always default to a email program, which it sounds like you don't want. Then just set your home page to gmail. Pressing the home button will launch Chrome with gmail displayed. If your internet is spotty, you can take Gmail offline with this exstention.  Then to make email hotlinks default to gmail and get right click options, try this exstention.

Windows XP is just going to get buggier and buggier as software becomes newer and XP no longer gets compatibility and security updates. If your PC can't do the SSL of IMAP, it is probably having a hard time with HTTPS which is not ideal for a POS system. Order entry should only be done over HTTPS IMO. Is the hardware good enough for a OS upgrade? 

Edited by Trikein, 21 June 2016 - 07:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users