Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When turned on, just shows Dell.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:22 AM

My computer has been locking up. Today it locked up for over 12 minutes. I pushed the power button, and it went off. I then turned it back on. All it shows is Dell, and  Bios revision 1.0,13. I pressed F2, and F12. It did nothing. Can my computer be fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:35 AM

Boot computer into BIOS setup utility and check to see if BIOS detects hard disk drive where Windows install at and make sure hard disk drive is first boot device.

Posted Image

#3 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

How do I do that? I pressed F2, and 12. But it did nothing. I forgot to add, that it is a desktop computer. It is Inspiron 530. I'm hoping that it can be fixed.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

With Dell PC you can access BIOS setup utility with F2 function key soon as you power on the computer start tapping the F2 key to access BIOS setup utility. The F12 key will list one time boot menu where you can start Dell Diagnostic tool and access BIOS setup utility.

Resolve Hardware Issues Using ePSA or PSA Diagnostics and Guide to Error Codes

Posted Image

#5 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

Ok, I'm still tapping the F2 key over, and over when I turn the computer on. But it still only shows Dell, and nothing else. Anything else I can do to make it work?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

Power off the computer and hold down F2 key and power on the computer release the F2 key soon as you computer enter the BIOS setup utility. if this wont work try below suggestions.

1. Turn on (or restart) your computer.

2. When the blue DELL™ logo is displayed, you must watch for the F2 prompt to appear.

3.   Once this F2 prompt appears, press F2 key immediately.

The F2 prompt indicates that the keyboard has initialized. This prompt can appear very quickly, so you must watch for it to display, and then press <F2> key. If you press <F2> before you are prompted, this keystroke will be lost.

Also try F12 key to boot computer with one time boot menu. Restart the computer. Press F12 key immediately after the DELL™ logo appears.

Edited by FreeBooter, 13 June 2016 - 04:07 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

I did the F2. I even held it down, and pressed it several times. I did then F12. It still won't work. When I turn it on, the Dell logo comes right up. F2, and F12 are already on there when it comes on. Theres no blue line going back and forth when it comes on. It just comes on, and it shows the Dell logo, F2, and F12. And that is all it shows.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

Reset CMOS RAM settings by removing CMOS battery for 15 minutes or by using the jumper to reset CMOS RAM settings. Can you disconnect hard disk drive from motherboard and try booting the computer also do same with other adapters by disconnecting adapters like graphic card and RAM modules to except for one RAM module and disconnect all externally attached devices.

Posted Image

#9 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

Sorry, but what Dell it is? The keys are different. Not only F2 or F12.

Some of them

Dell 400 F1, F3
Dell 4400 F12 
Dell Dimensions 4100 - 8100 F2
Dell Dimension - other F2 or DEL
Dell Inspiron® F2
Dell Latitude (some) Fn+F1 (while booted)
Dell Latitude F2 (on boot)
Dell Optiplex  F2 or DEL
Dell Precision F2
Dell Vostro F12

Edited by kaljukass, 13 June 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Sorry, but what Dell it is?

It is Inspiron 530.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

The user manual for the Dell Inspiron 530 PC has instructions on how to start BIOS setup utility with F2 key but OP also can try FN + F2 combination.

Edited by FreeBooter, 13 June 2016 - 06:25 PM.

Posted Image

#12 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

Sorry, and You cannot at all open the BIOS menu? 

It means, I try to understand, what is the main problem. Is it computer, is it graphical card, is it monitor or something else.

Edited by kaljukass, 13 June 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

See if powercycling the computer helps. Pull your power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and try booting.

Edit: Also make sure no USB flash drive is attached to a USB port or disks are in the optical drive(s)

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 June 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#14 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:55 PM

My desktop computer doesn't have a FN button. It has Ctrl, alt, and Windows button. The poster above said to pull the power cord. Does that mean to unplug the computer, and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds? If so, I will do that next.

#15 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

Ok, great news everybody. I got it fixed. I did a search for "power cycling the computer", and I found a couple of websites, and read them. Never did that with a computer. Have done it with routers. So thanks everybody for helping me out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users