Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Volume directory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:04 PM

I'd like to take a look at what's there. I know restore points are. My own computer, of which I am administrator won't let me in to look :thumbsup:
If I ever get in, can I delete some restore points I'd rather not keep around?
Every time scanners (Ad-Aware, others run) , I see the contents fly by so why can't I see it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:42 AM

If I ever get in, can I delete some restore points I'd rather not keep around?

i wish we could choose a point and go with it. Unfortunately with system restore it's all or nothin'. Either you have the points you have...sometimes dating back 90 days or so, or you disable it, re-enable it and thats your new point. You can limit the amount of disk space that system restore can use, however. By cutting it back to 50MBs, for instance, you force it to overwrite existing files when it reaches the maximum allowed space. I'd much rather save a good point that occupies 5 MB's of space using the file compression it does, but who asked me, huh?

As for taking a look at whats there, have you ever tried this?
Start-->run-->type cmd-->opens command prompt window. type c:\dir.txt tap the enter key. choose File-->select save to: My documents-->rename it "the date you did it" and read about files on your C drive. I'm finding some variations on that theme also, and some inconsistancies, too.

try dir /s
or dir /s /b > c:\dir.txt
or dir /b > c:

and try it in safe mode under your admin priviledges, too

BTW, if you are experiencing difficulties even with administrator priveledges doing anything needed while operating the PC, there is probably a reason for it...perhaps you need to note exactly when/if the problems/error messages occur. Post the results as an explanation or a screenshot. :thumbsup:

You can always kill some time opening every file on your C:\ after first unhiding the drive, then Tools-->Folder options-->View-->
  • check:Display the contents of system folders
  • check: Show hidden files & folders
  • uncheck: Hide operating system files and OK your choice when doin' it. (sheez)
  • check:Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color
  • uncheck: Use simple file sharing (recommended)
I did that and made a screenshot (cropped) of each and every one of them in sequence immediately after loading a fresh OS...then again after immediately loading SP2. Now I can see the effect of all
  • driver files
  • program files
  • update files
  • malware files
  • record logs
  • uninstall files
  • files left after uninstalling, as the case may be.
  • all exactly how I would see them by following the above advice & simply viewing any file in any folder. Then there are those system volume files you speak of.........
:flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:57 PM

Yeah, they should've asked me, too, about save points :thumbsup: . I agree completely with you about holding on to a good one, which was one reason I wished I could see what's there. I know the date(s), still seeing some sort of a record other than marking on a calendar would be nicer. Thanks for the explanation and advice to cut the space.

In any case, it all started with why I can't see contents of that directory.
My folder options match what you suggested. The only one I turned on now for this experiment was to unhide operating system files. It made no difference.

It turns out I really have no rights to it, or it is empty :flowers: . In safe mode, as well as in normal mode the screen says access denied. However, when I looked at properties, it says 0 files, 0 folders. Ha! Perhaps it is empty? Incidentally, one other DIR command that I find useful, in addition to what you listed, is dir /ad.

I have no problems with administrative priviledges that I know of. This is the first instance. The only irritating thing is that the folder settings don't stay the way I want them. And this safe mode is scary - this was my first on this computer - the fan ran and sounded like a jet continuously while I was doing dir > text and screen shots, and the screen looked weird - fuzzy, floating and letters too big. I'm clueless here. I don't think it has anything to do with admin rights anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users