Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot due to:"INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" and "Recovery: Contains errors"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frozice

Frozice

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:04 PM

Hi, I have a Acer Aspire V3-772G Notebook. 

Yesterday I tried to boot up my computer, but I ended up getting the "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" and then the computer restarts. This happens twice before putting me in the Auto Recovery menu.

I've tried various solutions online (including the AHCI thing that seemed to worked for everyone), but none seemed to work for me. Eventually I tried to force the computer to boot in safe mode which lead to problem A:

Problem A

The Immediate Problem "Recovery: Contains Errors"

What happened:

1) So I tried to get into safe mode, but i was unable to do it the normal way. Therefore I tried Option 3 from http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69585-safe-mode.html.

(Normally, you can use the Startup Settings in the Auto Recovery to access it, but my safe mode wouldn't boot and it would just restart to the Auto Recovery)

2) This involved using the using the command "bcdedit /set {Identifier} safeboot minimal" (in my case my Identifier was "Default") in Command prompt (from the Auto Recovery menu)

3) After this I restarted the computer. To my dismay, the computer did not boot up in safe mode (it does not even show the Acer loading Screen), but only displayed a blue screen with this error.

"

Recovery

Contains Error

"

4) Then it shuts down,rendering me unable to access the automatic recovery screen or even the BIOS.

Problem B

The Existing Problem "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

1) I did disk cleanup on Windows installer files and deleted %Temp% files

2) Somehow the computer was still working after that (before i restarted it)

3) After restarting, It led to the "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" Error

Suspicious things I did/noticed before this

1) My SSD (C drive) was "Losing Free space" as in the total space remained the same but the space occupied increased, even though I did not install or store anything. (This has been going on for the past 2 years, but it got especially bad this week, to the extend that I only have 900mb of space left in the C drive)

2) I tried to get more free space by deleting certain files in appdata mainly deleted game folders (It worked fine even after restarting at that point so it probably isn't the cause of the problem)

3)I optimized the SSD with disk defragmenter. (i restarted with no issue after that too)

4) I used disk cleanup on windows installer files (it was taking up 31gb of my disk, but only 770mb was cleaned) and also temporary files (Amounting to 4.7gb). Somehow, no matter how many times I've cleaned the temporary files, it still remained at 4.7gb << this is probably the cause of the problem. Which is kinda weird.

5) Right before I restarted I saw a few "Translucent files" on my desktop, including 2 desktop files. (by "Translucent files I meant the kind of files that appears after you opened something like a Excel file, Thoses with "$" and "~" Signs in the names, I don't know what they are called)

Conclusion

I need to fix Problem A (Recovery Contains Error) before I can fix Problem B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE). I'm opened to any solutions, including formatting my C:Drive which practically has nothing important stored it in (BECAUSE THERE IS NO FREE SPACE AT ALL). 

I would appreciate if you guys can provide any help or insight on these problems.

Thank you. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:09 AM

Have seen a lot of issues with free space diminishing lately from others and really i dont understand why { Malware Viruses ? }.

There are many reasons and cures , mostly i think Hard Drive size to accomadate programs / games Etc / Sys Restore % / temps.

With yours : first mistake was - You Never Defrag a SSD Drive .  Its not required , you can have a Quick read here to some Options in SSD setups - http://www.disk-partition.com/kb/tips-ssd-optimization-windows7-2.html

I have a Samsung 500 EVO and used the Samsung Software provided , and setup as above link suggests , within Performance Settings Set etc.

Then with Sys Restore off , No Pagefile ,Disabled Disk Indexing, and rely on a Acronis Backup Image.

My C:\ drive is currently showing 28Gig  hasnt waivered in 12 mths and D:\Drive 350 Gig  stores my personel stuff , remainder is used for Over Provisioning 50Gig. .....................NOTE : SSD is Partitioned as C: and D:

Have you tried removing the drive and reconnect and reboot = ?

"Translucent files"  eg: Opening Excell = are temp while you are writing to the program or have a file open - Quite Normal.

If you are thinking of formatting and starting again i agree this is a better option than chasing something unknown at this stage.

Also if Recovery Partition has errors , or something got deleted that shouldnt have.

#3 Frozice

Frozice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

Hi Havachat. I went ahead and formated my c drive. I think it was the best decision I've made for my laptop ever.

After formating, i was able to boot up my computer and sucessfully set up everything. I saw 82gb of free space on my ssd. I haven't seen this number for a very long time XD.

All in all, I appreciate the insight and advice you've given me. It motivated me to format my disk.

Thank you for your help and have a splendid day!:)

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:50 AM

Good to hear you are up and running again , once you have done all your Windows Updates , installed your Programs , removed unwanted or bloatware from the Manufacturer Specs and satisfied its clean and running ok , take an Image of the C:\ Drive and save it to a External Drive.

There are a few free versions available to do this task - or something of your own choice ,  then if the PC ever fails for whatever reason you can just reload the image from the date it was taken , this will save time from reloading everything from scratch.

Also you can take extra Images along  the way say once every 2-3 mths  to also fall back on if required , the more the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users