Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New: where to start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cavemanwhite

cavemanwhite

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

I am brand new into the IT world, have my A+ cert and working my way through learning Server 2012 R2. Where do you all suggest I start to get myself up on the "learning curve"?"

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cavemanwhite

cavemanwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

Also I would like to know what programs (already have basics like malwarebytes and ccCleaner) to get/have handy. Ease of administration if you will...

#3 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:22 AM

I'd take a look at https://ninite.com/ and be at least familiar (knowing the names of and basic functionality of programs on there).  To be honest it's quite hard to offer a list of utilities which are the be all and end all of administration.  The best way to do it is to get out there and run into a particular problem, find a tool and see if you like it and if it fixes your problems.  Most administration tools for windows for windows that you'll need day-to-day are already in windows. 

For networking I like Netlimiter, Wireshark, cmd.  For general maintenance I use either Glary utilities or ccCleaner, cmd.  For malware, malwarebytes/AVG/something a bit stronger if needed. 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

Are you currently working in IT?

Network+ will serve you well, giving you a good networking foundation to build upon.

If you're going to be doing end user support learn the remote support tools, Windows Remote Assistance, Remote Desktop (RDP), SCCM Remote, Dameware, and LogMeIn are tools that I have used.

Corporate IT is different from Home IT.  Rarely in a corporate environment do you take the time to clean a machine of an infection, you reimage the machine.  When you clean a machine you can never be sure that you removed everything, in a corporate environment you need to be sure so you're not doing the same thing again tomorrow on all of your machines.

Edited by Kilroy, 15 June 2016 - 07:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users