Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Files To #2 USB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

Hey guys, I would love to be able to backup my files from my Main USB to a new bigger better USB.  At the same time be able to keep doing this with the option to just Update the new files to the other USB as a backup, just like a "Backup Image" I guess.  I looked at "rsync" but it seems complicated with commands and such.  Any good ideas for something maybe with a GUI?  I was looking at something like this recently but cannot find it now.

I thought to just Copy Paste them, but that would leave me having to baby sit the whole process at the second Backup right?

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

Seeing there is no suggestions here I took this question to another Forum, thanks anyway.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

So maybe a script like this....(typed in gedit....saved as    backup(~/bin)-gedit)

sudo rsync -avh -P -stats /media/brian/backup/linuxmint2016/ /media/brian/backup2/linuxmint2016/

(doing the necessary substitutions...your name for mine etc etc etc)

This backs up my "backup" hard drive (separate hdd from my OS ssd) to an external , plug in usb drive{backup2})

Edited by Condobloke, 17 June 2016 - 08:10 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:33 AM

Nice one, Brian. When you embrace an OS, you don't just dip your toes in the pool, you dive in and take a swim.

Rsync is a good command to get your teeth into, and not just for sysadmins performing remote backups (where it is most often used) ... although it can be a little hard to "digest" sometimes.

It is also the underlying engine or backend for such products as BackInTime and Timeshift.

@pcpunk:

Hey punk, I just put on a 17.1 KDE I had kicking around in my "DistroIsos" folder (605 packages to update, lol) to duplicate your environment, and am just formatting a couple of recalcitrant USB sticks to backup one to the other.

Before I (or we, with Brian) reinvent the wheel have you found a solution at another forum, if so, what?

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

I got a few suggestions but have not decided which way to go, I'll need to study up a little more before I decide.  Grsync and Back in time were the two suggestions, and I'm leaning towards Grsync because it's supposedly "Cross Platform"  Don't really know if I need cross platform yet, perhaps I could always just do this on linux box.  Certainly need something that will allow using USB on both Linux and Windows keeping permissions right.  And Grsync had some options that I thought were nice, like preserving dates that files were created etc.

Learning is not that easy right now due to my health but I would try to do the rsync thing with commands if someone would make it clear to me.  

Like this maybe: I could post the Pathway to the first Medium, then the second Medium, then maybe someone could put the command together.  I kinda get it, and will read up on it more now, but will just need to dive in sooner or later.  I just want to be careful with all my Data, that stupidly has not all been backed up yet, but some has.  I was keeping all on linux box and backing up to the USB, then just making sure all files were equal on both. 

I have rsync installed I believe with Timeshift so will look at the "man" page.  Been in Windows a lot lately so forgive me please.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

Understand totally and take your time, buddy.

Friend Punk's Piriform Speccy details in his signature are worth taking a look at. When I first "met" him, he only had the space-starved Acer.

I had forgotten to factor into the equation the Windows usage, hence cross-platform may be relevant with a GUI solution. Brian may be sans Windows by now, is that so, Brian?

@pcpunk:

Mate, the Toshiba Satellite has 298GB WD HDD is that still operational? I am wondering if there is merit in copying the USB stick/s in question to that HDD as a safeguard while you explore options?

Hope the health status improves.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hi, all.

Got to mention this, but Puppy has its own built-in GUI-based utility, called pBackup. Doesn't help you, pcpunk, but for anyone wanting to try out Puppy, and needing to keep stuff backed-up regularly, this very neat, home-grown option (by our very own Sigmund Berglund....'ziggy' to forum members) does exist, and is built in to most Pups as standard.

It offers one-time backup, scheduled, multi-file/directory full-path backup, and of course, sync. It's like an easier version of rSync, and in the best Puppy tradition, has a multiplicity of tool-tips to guide you through the process.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 18 June 2016 - 06:04 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

@ wizard.....I have not left windows behind completely as I still have some interaction in the win 10 forum....and on occasion I need to remind myself of what they are unnecessarily putting up with in that quagmire.....So I keep a copy of win 10 up to date in a VM.....I also run my "canned speech holder" in win 10.....the 'speech holder' or text editor which caused some procrastinating HERE ...and it contains quite a lot of links and tutorials etc etc...which I use in the win 10 area, and to a lesser extent in win 8.1 and 7 areas....

And that leads to another gsync type thingie....I also backup the win 10 install and everything that it contains...

rsync -avh -P -stats '/home/brian/VirtualBox VMs' /media/brian/backup/VirtualBox/

@ pcpunk....my son is still drumming the do's and dont's of writing a script into me......and the one "rule" which i constantly remind myself of is....where is it coming from...and where is it going to.

Keep that idea in the back of your mind at all times....and the rest will follow.

On the subject of your health, I had assumed that you were a young guy......in either case I really do hope that life and illness treats you better in the near future.

Edit to add : Grsync looks interesting....more reading material for me

Edited by Condobloke, 18 June 2016 - 09:06 PM.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

@pcpunk:

Hey punk, I just put on a 17.1 KDE I had kicking around in my "DistroIsos" folder (605 packages to update, lol) to duplicate your environment, and am just formatting a couple of recalcitrant USB sticks to backup one to the other.  ​You will love it! I hope, then I will have another comrade.  I don't think all that is needed just to use rsync Wiz but I appreciate it.  I see how to use it but all the different Commands are dizzying.  

Before I (or we, with Brian) reinvent the wheel have you found a solution at another forum, if so, what?  I just need to make sure I get the right command, please, don't reinvent the wheel.

Cheers

Replies in Blue above

I have this one saved from Al, and it is a little different than Condobloke's

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/594582/backing-up-linux/

This is definitely something I need to learn but have not found the documentation that suits me yet.

Edited by pcpunk, 18 June 2016 - 09:00 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:07 PM

sudo rsync -avh -P -stats

@Condobloke, would this one be good for my USB Transfer needs?  I looked it up but it is all nonsense to me lol.  I'll explore Backintime also but for now might just Copy Paste to get a Backup of what I have now.

As you can see in that Thread, Al was using this one:

rsync -av --delete

And, no slash at the end of the destination dir "/"  I thought when putting a "/" at the end of the destination it would create another directory ?

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

Mate, the Toshiba Satellite has 298GB WD HDD is that still operational? I am wondering if there is merit in copying the USB stick/s in question to that HDD as a safeguard while you explore options?

The Tosh now has a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD in it with Windows 7 as the other HDD kinda died.  I just realized that I have an extra USB that I can Copy Paste to and then get me a good command learnt.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:16 PM

sudo rsync -avh -P -stats             Yes...this works.....followed by where it is from /media/brian/backup/linuxmint2016/....and where it is going to   /media/brian/backup2/linuxmint2016/

(I created a folder on the backup2 hdd called linuxmint2016, to send it to)

(if the questions get too hard....I will have to ask my son ! )

I have not read about GRsync yet....I undertsand it is the 'graphical interface" ....which basically makes the whole mess look pretty and more "windows like"....which is ultra cool for dummies like me....I then wonder if it simplifies the whole process of backing up...making scripts for us so the process is automated...???

Edited by Condobloke, 18 June 2016 - 09:20 PM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

sudo rsync -avh -P -stats             Yes...this works.....followed by where it is from /media/brian/backup/linuxmint2016/....and where it is going to   /media/brian/backup2/linuxmint2016/

(I created a folder on the backup2 hdd called linuxmint2016, to send it to)  I see, but what about subsequent backups, won't this command then try to make another "dir" called linuxmint2016?

(if the questions get too hard....I will have to ask my son ! )  We'll this is just hilarious.  How old is he and what is his job description?

I have not read about GRsync yet....I undertsand it is the 'graphical interface" ....which basically makes the whole mess look pretty and more "windows like"....which is ultra cool for dummies like me....I then wonder if it simplifies the whole process of backing up...making scripts for us so the process is automated...???  Yes, exactly!

Replies in Blue above ^

Why does Text run outside the Post when you create a post sometimes?

Edited by pcpunk, 18 June 2016 - 09:43 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:36 PM

I see, but what about subsequent backups, won't this command then try to make another "dir" called linuxmint2016?...No...doesnt happen...all subsequent backups are tucked neatly inside 'linuxmint2016'

My son owns a transport company, and like his dad is just naturally brilliant.....

When time allows I will give grsync a good looking over

text outside post??....no idea !..

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:36 AM

OMG thought it was just me, lol

uTDXsRs.png

and

OivLno7.png

... with the second one, punk's quoting you requires a l-r scroll