Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brother MFC-8850CDW Connectivity Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

I've looked in both the user manual and advanced manual as well as a little online. This is a friend's printer with which I have little familiarity. The modem went belly up the other day therefore no internet to his desktop pc. The printer would not print though it was usb connected to his pc. He has 2 PCs and one, if not both, print wirelessly as needed. Regarding the pc connected via usb to the printer, I assumed if wireless went down, the printer / pc would automatically print via usb even if "wireless" mode was selected. Do they not work that way? I couldn't find his printer settings which would allow the type of desired connectivity. I found multiple settings for the printer on both his pc and printer but none regarding connectivity using usb. I set it up a couple of years ago and as I recall, using the included disk, one of the steps was selecting wireless or usb. Surely the connectivity change can be made without the install disk. Which now leads to another question. If 2 computers are involved and the choice is only wireless or usb, and both computers have the printer software installed, can one pc run with usb to the printer and the other pc print wirelessly? Thanks.

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ufc2084

ufc2084

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:45 AM

I don't believe your printer automatically switches between usb and wireless. When you click print and and you get to the screen where it asks you how many copies to print, try changing the selected printer. Sometimes when connecting via usb and wireless, it should create 2 seperate printer profiles. So try switching from the wireless profile to the usb profile in that drop down menu.  Also, 1 PC can print wirelessly while the other prints via usb.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:21 AM

I don't believe your printer automatically switches between usb and wireless.

This is true. When you setup a printer in Windows, that printer profile is associated with a connection type. You would have to modify the printer profile to use another connection type, which is usually most easily done by most people with the setup disc/program. It should in theory be possible, however, to modify the connection type without the setup disc/program typically just through the Windows printer control panel.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

Every printer I have ever seen gets confused as h*ll if it is connected using two different methods! If it exists on the other PC at all, its probably setup wireless so unplug the USB cable, turn both the PC and the printer off (to unconfuse them), turn them both back on, and see what happens.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

Every printer I have ever seen gets confused as h*ll if it is connected using two different methods! If it exists on the other PC at all, its probably setup wireless so unplug the USB cable, turn both the PC and the printer off (to unconfuse them), turn them both back on, and see what happens.

FWIW, my trusty old HP LaserJet 6MP had no problem with switching automatically between the two parallel ports and the AppleTalk port (back when I still used AppleTalk...many, many, many years ago).  Now, it is just switching between the two parallel ports that use parallel to USB cables to connect to modern computers (or my router) with a USB port.

Not sure if my HP OfficeJet Pro would do the same thing or not with the ethernet port, WiFi and USB connection.  Never really tried it as I just connection with the ethernet connection and all my computers can use it.  Might experiment with it some time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users