Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The world has gone insane, MS releases FreeBSD image.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

I'm slightly confused, pinching myself. What's next? Ubuntu fork for VM's maybe? (read into the Win10 VM policies if you want a reason)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/09/microsoft_freebsd/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

Wonders just how much money this will make for M$,  Sorry M$ you lost any trust I had in your products with the introduction of " free Windows" and the aggressive way you want to push it on people.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

Much of it is to do with market share I think. One ring to rule them all!

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

One ring to rule them all!

Thats Ubuntu.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:14 PM

If it wasn't for the poo brown desktop and back to front UI I might agree with you.

Long live the King! (Debian)

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:36 AM

So reading the article, it sounds like MS had to modify FreeBSD source to get it to run adequately in Azure (MS cloud platform) and they are pushing the changes upstream.  As a long time BSD user, I don't see this as a huge deal;  I'm guessing that MS was not willing to really part with specs/knowledge on the virtual devices (network devices, storage devices), so writing the driver interface and pushing it back upstream lets them control the amount of proprietary knowlege they want to expose.

The part about MS "maintaining" that image, well, that's what they should be doing until patches are rolled back in upstream.

I'm with Nick on wondering about the money aspect:  to me, this is like offering a car in 5 colours instead of 3.  You may pick up a few more folks because of the 2 new colours, but enough to recoup your investment?  In general I've been leery of "cloud" for a long time;  I agree there are useful aspects of it, but I've never trusted anyone else with my data.  If you have everything in "The Cloud", it makes it very easy to hold you hostage (sorry, you want your documents?  Give me $$$.  Apps?  The license to use fee just went up).

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Im going to read up on this so i can understand what you guys are Quoting ?

Whats FreeBSD ? and Azure ? any worthy Links i can follow ? { Bedtime - so im not Googling }.

Not too complicated reading or in depth answers , just the basic outline etc.

The Cloud - Most people like to say " My files are Safe - their in the Cloud.....hah ! watch when they cant get em...mayhem.

Ive had PCs for repairs with Fresh Win 10 and setup with MS Acc and then their wondering why they cant game with good speeds or lag ?

Fairly sure by default - Uploads to the Cloud are happening in the Background until  - disabled.

And i,ll keep my Images / Files / Backups  right next to me on External Drive ....Safe and Snug out of Prying Eyes.

Edited by Havachat, 13 June 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:20 AM

FreeBSD is a unix like OS much like linux and OSX and has tries to BSD one of the oldest OS's (even older than DOS)

Azure is Microsofts cloud platform, a semi proprietary system loosly based off linux

If it wasn't for the poo brown desktop and back to front UI I might agree with you.

Long live the King! (Debian)

Ubuntu hasnt been brown in years

new-ubuntu-apps-in-1604-750x469.jpg

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:22 AM

FreeBSD:  *nix OS that actually traces it's roots back to Unix.  www.freebsd.org  Other related BSDs: www.openbsd.org, www.dragonflybsd.org www.netbsd.org

Azure:  google up "microsoft azure", takes you to a couple of good wikipedia articles.

#10 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

mremski, what you said seems pretty much to be the big picture here.  And as a mater of personal taste, I like my Windows systems to be VMs under FreeBSD.

:-Dodo.

#11 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:25 AM

mremski, what you said seems pretty much to be the big picture here.  And as a mater of personal taste, I like my Windows systems to be VMs under FreeBSD.

:-Dodo.

:)

My preferred Windows systems "aren't".  As my signature says, I've been FreeBSD on my home machine for a long time (on demand dialup over a 56K connection), Windows for my wife because of the applications she needs.

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:29 AM

Thanks Mremski / MadmanRB , will do some reading up on FreeBSD / microsoft azure.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

Whats FreeBSD ? and Azure ? any worthy Links i can follow ? { Bedtime - so im not Googling }.

FreeBSD is a very popular OS that's used & developed by the Berkeley University of California. While not quite as popular as Ubuntu & many derivative OS's, such as Linux Mint, Zorin, Kubuntu, and many more, Free BSD is well known, and designed more for security, as well as a teaching OS for the university. Like Ubuntu, Free BSD also has some derivative OS's, anyone with the know how can create a distro based on it. 

Microsoft Azure is one of their 'big money' deals, over 30% (maybe more since Steve Ballmer is gone) are Linux clients. Cloud servers. Microsoft makes a lot more cash off of their business clients than their Home ones, Windows users gets the leftovers of the much more powerful platform. Doesn't matter anyway, as just like Linux, many Windows users are barely scratching the surface of the power of their OS's. Though Microsoft began pushing Hyper-V since the Windows 8 Pro promo in 2012, it was also there in Windows 7 Ultimate, known as 'boot to vhd', just few users bothered with it, choosing traditional VM apps such as VirtualBox & VMware Player instead. Though boot to vhd has a better advantage over those, having the full resources of the computer while in the session. So by far, it's not new, at least since October 2009. Hyper-V takes things a step further, though have never tried it. Sadly, many hasn't, Windows 8.1 & 10 Pro has this killer feature, even for Home users running Pro, and the same for boot to vhd with 7 Ultimate. FreeBSD will run on either, or if the issue is fixed. 

Yet corporations does use these features, to have one employee do the work of 3 or 4 just a few years back with Hyper-V on a capable workstation, with much of the work stored on the Azure cloud system. Actually many home computers has everything needed for Hyper-V, all one needs is an 8.1 Pro license, and enable the features. Windows 7 Pro users can also, but must upgrade to W10 for free first, or optionally purchase 8.1 Pro while available. Using Windows, one can boot straight into Hyper-V created Linux OS's, using all of the power of the computer, maybe that's part of what this Free BSD deal is about. 

The Cloud - Most people like to say " My files are Safe - their in the Cloud.....hah ! watch when they cant get em...mayhem.

Now, about these 'cloud' solutions, I believe this not to be true, Microsoft likely have lots of storage 'on the ground', probably in cooler areas of the world, as all of these computers running is creating tons of heat. So some areas would be unsuitable for their 'cloud' storage areas. Maybe parts of Canada would be ideal, or anywhere that the temps stays low. I just have a lot of doubt that our storage are on satellites in outer space somewhere, this would be very risky & customers could lose tons of data if one were crashed with a passing meteor. Plus it would take a long time (probably a day) to connect & retrieve data. 

So that begs the question, 'what is cloud storage?'. And who began this misrepresentation? Because it is one, Microsoft has huge storage facilities, as above, stated that I have no idea where these are, yet rest assured your storage (& so is Google's) on the ground. Though I prefer to keep my files at home, just purchased another WD RE4 two nights back. 

Being that I'm primarily a Linux Mint user, could care less anyway, at least I know where my files are, on my drives. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:07 AM

"The Cloud":  not local.  That's simply what it means.  Good argument can be made that leaving your email on someone's server is cloud storage of that email.

Pluses: as long as you have access to the internet, the data is available from anywhere.  You are not bearing the cost of buying and maintaining the storage device.

Cons:  Your data is in someone elses hands.

Analogy:  you don't have a pantry, so you store all your food at your neighbors house.  You have an agreement that permits you 24/7 access to the food.  Your neighbors sell the house, new owners change the locks.  You have no access to your food.  You go hungry.

Price of storage has come down greatly, so it makes it easier for folks to buy an extra disk (internal or external) and with the availability of consumer grade NAS devices, the cloud only makes sense for public availability of the data (my opinion only).

BSD:  Stands for Berkely Software DIstribution.  Berkely, as in "University of California, Berkely", one of the original contributors to Unix as released by AT&T (this is going back to 1970/1980s).  AT&T was prohibited from being in the General Computing market, Unix source was given (typically for the cost of media) to Universities.  Changes were made, features added, pushed back to AT&T for rollup into the next release.  Eventually AT&T decided to sue U Cal-Berkely for copy right infringment.  Went to court, AT&T would have lost, 4.4BSD-Lite was distributed.  That distribution is pretty much the grandpappy of all the BSDs.  FreeBSD's direct ancestor was i386-BSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD more or less started at the same fork, with different charters.  FreeBSD best performance on the x86 platform, NetBSD run on as many platforms as possible, OpenBSD security, security, security.  FreeBSD is run on a lot of server platforms, not your typical desktop but it works just fine for that.  Mac OSX has more than a bit of FreeBSD in it.  OpenBSD is used for a lot of firewall appliances (they also "own" OpenSSL, OpenNTPd) but also makes a dandy desktop.  DragonFly is a more recent fork of FreeBSD, takes the whole scaling in a different direction (also makes a nice desktop).  One of the best things about all of the BSDs is code sharing.  Very often a fix or new code written in one is easily ported to another:  this is good for security fixes and hardware support.

BSD licensing is different from Linux/GNU GPL:  there is no legal obligation to push changes back to the community or make them available.  This is a bit more business friendly than GPL/LGPL.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

Meanwhile, I found this via Google:

https://www.freebsd.org/where.html

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/

-- a very thorough, informative, web site!

Edited by RolandJS, 14 June 2016 - 06:42 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users