Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Magnarider

Magnarider

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

I had WIndows 10 on my primary SSD and it crashed so I installed Windows 10 on a backup drive that I had. I am now able to boot the computer up but I would like to fix the OS on my SSD is there anyway to do that?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:05 PM

Depends on exactly what you're trying to do.

You can clone the OS from the HDD to the SSD.

You can install W10 on the SSD "clean"

You can attempt to repair W10 on the SSD

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:06 AM

How can I repair it?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:41 AM

How can I repair it?

You need to supply us with error message that is displayed when you boot computer with SDD installed Windows 10.

You also need Windows 10 Repair Disk or Windows 10 Setup DVD or USB flash drive to use Startup Repair tool and other recovery tools.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

Do you want to save the data that's on the drive now?

How about the programs?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

I dont get any error messages it just loads until I can see a windows logo and thats where it stops. I tried using the recovery tools that it had provided me when I tried to do a Windows upgrade and it wouldnt work I ran those diagnostics but they couldnt fix it.

#7 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:53 PM

But why would you not want to do a clean installation? You don't lost nothing, can only win time and to maintain nerves.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

I dont get any error messages it just loads until I can see a windows logo and thats where it stops. I tried using the recovery tools that it had provided me when I tried to do a Windows upgrade and it wouldnt work I ran those diagnostics but they couldnt fix it.

You can't upgrade from offline Windows OS. If you have Windows 10 setup DVD run Startup Repair tool if this tool cannot resolve the issue view the tools repair report or if you can post screenshot for us to see. Open the Command Prompt and type Chkdsk  D: /r command and press Enter key to repair damage NTFS file system and bad sectors. Replace the D: drive letter with drive letter of the partition where Windows installed.

When computer boots into WinRE environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users