Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix unable to create a backup of the current registry

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 tanbanan

tanbanan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

I ran combofix to get rid of a trojan virus.  I now see a pop-up stating that it was unable to create a backup of the current registry.  Then it asks if it should go ahead and continue with the restore anyway.  I'm inclined to click "no".  If anyone can offer advice on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 June 2016 - 04:14 PM.
Moved to more appropriate section from Windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:56 PM

Combofix should only be run when supervised by a Virus Removal Expert as things can go bad. If you suspect a Trojan I would post in the Virus Removal Section and provide the logs requested in the Pinned topics. 

#3 tanbanan

tanbanan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:00 PM

Combofix should only be run when supervised by a Virus Removal Expert as things can go bad. If you suspect a Trojan I would post in the Virus Removal Section and provide the logs requested in the Pinned topics. 

Hi John,

Yes, I realize that now and agree with you.  I just need advice on how to proceed.  I'm going to take it into a professional now so I'm assuming I choose "no"...don't continue with the restore.  Or are you suggesting I just close the laptop and take it to the pro now?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

Hello tanbanan,

Please hold off on taking the laptop anywhere.  I'm moving this topic to a more appropriate section where someone with knowledge of CF should be able to assist you.  If they determine you need malware removal assistance, they will provide instructions for you at that point.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Malware Response Team
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

Hi tanbanan and welcome to BleepingComputer. :)

I have asked for this topic to be moved, in the meantime please explain exactly what prompted you to download and run Combofix and which exact version of Windows your machine has please.

We will then go from there, thank you.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

And the topic is now in the log forum. I'll leave you in Dakeyras's capable hands.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Malware Response Team
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:02 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users