Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG add on's legit or what. Always best to ask the Pro's

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SPACE_ROCKS

SPACE_ROCKS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

Hi,
I've recently downloaded AVG ANTIVIRUS and it's got all these extra Add-On programs that come with it. PC Tuner,AVG Economy mode,stuff like that,Program Deactivator.
Are these Add-on Programs any good and are they good solutions for fixing PC Errors?

I mean when I take my laptop to the Computer shop to get it fixed (Lagging,crashing,Etc..) what do the Tech dudes use to fix a slow lagging PC ?  AVG Tune Up ?

What do the Pros use is what I'm asking?
Would any Techie vouch for this stuff?
Many Thanks in advance

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 June 2016 - 04:18 PM.
Moved from Windows 7 to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:38 PM

I've used AVG for years, first the free, and for the last 5 years paid antivirus. I've never bothered with the add ons. I doubt that any professional uses them.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:39 PM

I take it you did the Express/Default install.  If you can, remove the un-wanted/un-needed.  If necessary, reInstall AVG AV via its custom or advanced install, you should be able to un-check those extras.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 June 2016 - 09:02 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. More recently (September 2015), is was reported that AVG privacy policy update allows it to sell your browsing history...meaning AVG allows the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data and sharing that data with affiliated partners, search providers and resellers.

There have been reports of AVG exposing and collecting personal data.

There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems. There have been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and AVG PC TuneUp which purport to fix registry errors and various optimizing tweaks which make changes to system settings. Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons...read Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools.

There have been complaints of AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar repeatedly being reinstalled after AVG updates itself even though users intentionally choose to remove them. And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

If you decide to go with free Avast, there also, custom/advance install and be sure to un-click the un-wanted/un-needed stuff.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:40 AM

...What do the Pros use is what I'm asking?...

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware if choosing a paid for program as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

#7 gtrejo

gtrejo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:20 AM

I've been using AVG AV for years and I've never bothered to use any of their other add-on programs. The Antivirus is the only thing you really need.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:59 AM

What do the Pros use is what I'm asking?
Would any Techie vouch for this stuff?

"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (built-in);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry Editor (built-in);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (built-in), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller and GeekUninstaller are two good alternatives;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: ProcExp from Sysinternals Suite (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair bad sectors on a hard drive: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (built-in);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Stranger_Inmyhouse

Stranger_Inmyhouse

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:02 AM

I can assure anyone that the aforementioned complaints with AVG usage should not be taken lightly, especially if you are one who has heard conversation topics about virus, BSOD, computer crashed, the laptop is burnt like a cookie...fried, but you truly don't know what any of that means but only that it means something bad happened.  That was me a while back.  The problem was my lack of understanding, education if you will, but also incompatibility with AVG and usage of their add ons because I figured it was VERY important or it wouldn't be there because I paid for the software and it was a battle to keep my Malwarebytes running.  To repeat, I do admit I was as green as a booger when it came to knowledge and I caused a lot of headaches for myself. As I became a little more educated, I can now say I caused much more harm by using and combining unnecessary functions. To further complicate the death of a laptop was having a "tunnel vision" approach of relying on what I purchased and assuming that was sufficient. So sometimes less is best, don't depend on a single program, become educated, and for goodness sakes don't just click buttons because they are before you.  LOL. 

Having said that, and not that I want computer problems and hackers and the sort but the topic is quite interesting now that I have read on it.  Cat and mouse game for sure.  Perhaps I should have gotten rid of my tunnel vision when I went back to college and taken some computer classes LOL.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:15 AM

As I always say..."Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have. An uninformed user can be their own worst enemy when acting in ignorance."

#11 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

Anything that claims to clean your PC is snake oil,nowadays you use the built in tools in windows,Auslogics boost speed,system mechanic,advanced system care just to name a few,if you purchased a brand new PC these programs would still find hundreds of errors,or what they call it,come on you have just bought the computer it is bogus :smash:

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users