Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows key, search bar and other features not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fusco23

Fusco23

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

Windows 10 not working properly.  I get a windll error when the computer first boots up.  Nothing happens when I click on the windows key.  Nothing happens if I click on the search bar.  Photos can only be opened in Paint.  Uploading photos to our blog can only be done one at a time instead of as a group.  Internet Explorer and Firefox do not work, but Chrome is working. 

I thought maybe I had a virus or malware and posted in the Virus Forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614049/cant-access-all-profiles-ie-firefox-search-windows-etc/

But after trying a number of things, Gary determined the issue is not malware related.  He suggested resetting the computer, which I tried several times, but was unsuccessful.  Each time it got to 8% then said there was a problem and no files were changed.  

I've backed up pictures, music and other files, but not sure what to do now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:39 PM

Here's the procedure to follow to install a clean copy of Windows 10

1)  Open a command prompt and type in "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and press Enter

If you get a small window that says that W10 is permanently activated, it's OK to proceed
If not, you'll need to get the product key for your original OS (must be Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10)

2)  Go here and use the "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?" method:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

When installing W10 (if it's permanently activated) you'll skip the first time that it asks for a product key, and will tell it to do it later the second time that it asks for a product key.
Once you're into Windows (and connected to the internet), it'll automatically activate.

If you didn't get it permanently activated, then just enter the product key from the previous OS and activate in the usual way.

NOTE:  Keep the flash drive/DVD in a safe place in order to use it as a recovery drive/repair drive in the future.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Fusco23

Fusco23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

Sorry, I was out of town.  Anyway, I tried to  install a clean copy of Windows 10, but it did not work.

Opened a command prompt and typed in "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and pressed Enter.  It said W10 is permanently activated.  So, then I downloaded W10 from the site you posted using a usb thumb drive.   

It seemed to download successfully and then asked me to click "Finish". When I did, I got the following error message: 

There was a problem running this tool.  We're not sure what happened, but we're unable to run this tool on your PC.  If you continue experiencing problems, reference the error code when contacting customer support.  Error Code: 0x8007007E-0xA0000

So, then I opened the thumb drive and there is a setup.exe file.  I clicked on it and a Windows Setup window opened.  But after a minute or so, I got the following message: 

Setup couldn't start properly.  Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 setup again.

So, I rebooted and got the same message again!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

The first thing to try is another download and create the USB again.  This is in case of a problem with the USB drive.
If the error continues, then try deleting all of the partitions on the drive during setup and then continue with the install.

This will wipe everything off the hard drive - so if the W10 install doesn't work then you'll be in trouble.
As such, I'd be sure to have a copy of the previous OS on hand - just in case.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

You don't say if this is a laptop or a desktop which could be important.

Windows 10 has a nasty bug such that, if the live tile database (right side of the Start menu) gets corrupted, the proverbial sh*t hits your fan and I have not yet found a way to either back it up or to recover it once it happens.  What does seem to make it a high probability is forcing the PC off by holding down the power button.

I have been able to make the PC functional again by copying back the registry files from C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regbak which, at least, makes programs operate again; but, the Start menu problem is, to date, only fixed by deleting all of the partitions and starting from scratch.

If you can get Windows to be functional, you ought to check your hard disk drive.  I like http://www.hdtune.com (you can use the free trial)  In it, check the health tab and, if the data column for (05) Reallocated sectors or (C5) Pending is anything but zero, you should run the error scan.  It takes a long time; but, if you get even one red box, your hard disk drive is failing and nothing short of replacing it will fix the PC.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 Fusco23

Fusco23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

The first thing to try is another download and create the USB again.  This is in case of a problem with the USB drive.
If the error continues, then try deleting all of the partitions on the drive during setup and then continue with the install.

This will wipe everything off the hard drive - so if the W10 install doesn't work then you'll be in trouble.
As such, I'd be sure to have a copy of the previous OS on hand - just in case.

I downloaded and created another USB.  But, I had the same problem.

I'm not sure how to delete all the partitions.  The set up never gets to a point where I can delete the partitions.  I get an error message before anything happens.  Am I doing something wrong?

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:22 PM

Try Repair Install of Windows 10 to repair errors your programs, personal files and some settings will not be touch with repair install of Windows 10.

Before doing repair install uninstall third party antivirus program and open the Command Prompt as a administrator and type Chkdsk C:  /r command to schedule a C: partition error checking at next time reboot of computer.

2GvnEq2.gif

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

When Windows gets to where to install, there is an advance options link that will allow you to delete the partitions and that is where you do it.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

See the 4th screenshot at this link:  http://www.howtogeek.com/197559/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc/

That's the one to delete the partitions.

Here's an image of it:ximg_542c296992937.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

In this screenshot, all the partitions have been deleted, so the single drive has all it's space unallocated.

You have to click on each partition and then click on Delete - once you do ALL of the partitions, then you're screen will look like this.

If you don't get this far, then it's likely that there is a hardware problem.
Start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html (the first 3 are bootable, so you don't need to get into Windows).

After that, then you start trying this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Edited by usasma, 21 June 2016 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users