Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BkavHome Free Edition?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lross94

lross94

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

Just found this installed on one of my servers.  Anyone have any info on this?  I'm not sure where it came from or how it got installed.  I did a Google search and was unable to find anything that seemed to be reliable information.  A lot of the sites I found seemed to be Vietnamese and the website www.bkav.com appears to be for a Vietnamese company that offers various security products.  I would appreciate any good information on this program if anyone has any.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

We have had folks ask about this company before and your searches were not far off.

Bkav Internet Security & Bkav Free Edition are Vietnamese Anti-virus programs. The corporation is based in Yen Hoa New Town, Cau Giay Dist., an urban district of Hanoi but according to their Contact Information the company has affiliates in Mountain View, California and Singapore.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:27 AM

BKAV is a legit antivirus company, so my guess would be that someone installed it intentionally and forgot about it.

I would not recommend using it though, it is not very effective and there were reports of the program changing people's browser settings (aka browser hijacking).

#4 lross94

lross94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the responses.  I have already uninstalled this application.  I know I did not install it intentionally, and I highly doubt anyone in the office installed it intentionally.  It looks like it was installed on June 10.  I found another piece of software, Your Uninstaller 7, that was also installed on or about the same time.  I have uninstalled that as well.  I think I might do a Malwarebytes scan just to be safe.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users