Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop shuts down unexpectedly

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 flobiwan

flobiwan

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:11 AM

I bought a new Dell laptop running Windows 7 Professional last Thursday.  It has shut down twice without warning.  When i start it back up, i get the "Windows didn't shut down normally" message after which it stays on for a couple days and shuts down again.  It just happened for the 2nd time this AM and i felt the bottom.  It doesn't feel hot.

I checked the event viewer and there were no messages of any failures just the "system shut down unexpectedly" message.

I have Windows Update set to NOT update automatically as i know that can sometimes force a restart.  However, in this case the computer didn't restart, it shut down without starting back up.

I ran sfc/scannow and it did find some corrupted files (on a brand new system??) and repaired them.

Attached is the excerpt of the cbs.log with the details on the repaired files.  Could that be the problem?  Any other ideas?  Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

Is it brand spanking new, refurbished, or new to you?

What most likely is causing your problem is an issue with the ac adapter and/or its connection into the laptop.

BTW; if it is a fresh install of Windows 7, you need to get about 200 updates that should not be postponed!  Go to Start -> Control Panel -> switch it to Large Icons -> Windows Update, and keep going back until it is done.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:33 PM

It is brand new and it was preinstalled with windows 7.  I agree about the updates but i want to wait because if figured it would take a while to update and if i have to return the laptop anyway, i won't bother.  I don't want to return it if i don't have to though because i just got it all set up.

I just checked the computer.  It's plugged in and when i hover over the battery icon on the bottom it shows 100% charged (it's been on and plugged in all day).  Don't know if that means anything or not.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

When you say "shut down", I take it you mean the laptop has turned itself all the way off?
Has it happened when you were present?

#5 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

Yes, all the way off. It's not sleeping.   Both times it happened, i was present.  the last time was at 10:23AM this morning.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

IMO -- that's not a good hardware sign.  If you can't get help from Dell Tech Support, be prepared to get an exchange within your 30 days.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

If you immediately turn it back on, does it say the battery is empty or still full?
If its empty, the problem may be just a bad ac adapter. If its still full, you either have an overheating problem or a defective system board (most people call them motherboards).
Either way, it is a hardware problem and you must not wait. Personally, I'd demand a replacement PC. I wouldn't accept Dell trying to fix it. Its too new.

#8 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

I didn't notice what the battery indicated when i turned it back on but i'll make a note to check that next time (i expect it to happen within the next day or two if the pattern is consistent).  

One thing i do remember is that i had to press the power button a couple times to turn it back on.  Although, i don't know if i "had" to press it a couple times or if i was just impatient but both times, it seems like it took longer than it should to start up.  Don't know if that's a clue.

If it is a bad motherboard (and i will definitely get a replacement from the store if it is), is there any log file within Windows that i could check to confirm that?

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

You can try BlueScreenView from Nirsoft to see if any catastrophic failures are getting captured; but, your described symptoms don't make me think there will be:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

Likely OEM Windows [make sure you always have clearly printed on paper the product key/license number from laptop bottom].  With whatever you have available, with whatever you trust, make OS and data partition backups.  I believe with the new Dell laptop, you can restore the OS and data backed up from the old hard-drive right onto the replacement laptop hard-drive.  Also, both of my Acers have a usb external cooling assembly underneath -- 'cause heat is an enemy of electronics, especially laptops, and I find things run a bit less warm with the cooling assemblies.  Check with dc3 about my "source backup/target restore" idea -- he is one of the finest most thorough techs around.

Edited by RolandJS, 13 June 2016 - 09:02 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#11 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

Thanks. Although there is not a lot of data on this hard drive (maybe 500gb tops), I thought about ghosting the HD to put on the new one but i only installed about 5 programs and it's probably just as easy to reinstall them at this point.  

I'm waiting to see if/when it happens again.  My concern is, what if it DOESN'T happen again?  do i chance it and go on with this laptop?  I have had mysterious problems on PCs that just went away on their own never to return. 

#12 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

Update - i just checked the three indicator lights on the front of the laptop.  The third light - the one for the battery - is off and i don't think i've ever seen it on.  According to dell.com, this light being off means the AC adapter is not installed or not detected.  However, the battery icon on the taskbar shows the ac adapter is plugged in and it's been reading a 100% charge constantly.

Could this be a clue?

EDIT:  I just checked the manual and got a different story.  Apparently the light being off just means the battery is in full charge mode and running on the AC adpater so i guess this means nothing.

Edited by flobiwan, 13 June 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

If you're well within 30 days, it might be best to exchange this new one for another new one; just make sure you don't receive a refurbished or rebuilt.  But hey, let's see what the others in here advise.  :)

#14 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:36 PM

New info - It just happened again at 7:23 tonight.  This time i noticed that the power light in the front was still on and steady.  Again, it was barely warm on the bottom too.  Also, i let the laptop alone for about 10 minutes without starting it and the entire time i could feel something spinning when i put my hand on the bottom - probably  HD or a fan but it never went off.  I couldn't hear anything but just felt a slight steady vibration when i put my hand on the bottom of the laptop.  This was all while it was still off.  

I have the power settings set to never go into sleep mode or hibernate but is there perhaps another "sleep-type" mode that it is going into after a certain period of inactivity.  I failed to mention before that every time this has happened, it's been after it was sitting on for a while without me touching it.  

I noticed this time that just tapping the power button quickly didn't turn it on (i think that's how it happened before).  I held the button down for 4 seconds and the power light went OFF and the vibration on the bottom stopped.  then i hit the power button again and it went on with the "windows didn't shut down normally" message.

I think i have to revise my original message in that it doesn't seem like the laptop is actually turning off but that it's somehow going into a "sleep" type mode.  Although i pressed every button on the laptop while it was in this mode and nothing "woke it up".  I should note that it's not just the monitor that turns off because i am connected to my laptop via gotomypc and when this problem happens, gotomypc also disconnects so the wifi is turning off too but i think something is still going on i the background and windows is still somehow running even though i can only see it again by powering the pc down and back on.  

This also seems to be the case because one of the keys i hit while it was "off" was fn+PrtScr which is a shortcut to turn the wifi on or off and when i started it back up, the wifi was OFF until i used the same shortcut to turn it back on.  So, even though it appeared to be "off", it still recognized the keys i was hitting.  Again, though, the only way i could start it up was to hold down the power button to shut it down and then boot it up again.

Also the  battery showed 100% charge as soon as i started it back up.

Given this new info, does it still seem like a hardware problem or could it be something else?

Edited by flobiwan, 13 June 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,250 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:28 AM

Perhaps deep within Windows' Control Panel's Power settings and perhaps within Network/Sharing hardware settings...I'm guessing that something is set to do a shutoff if not used for X amount of time.  If it is not hardware, then something or some things inside Windows and/or 3rd party programs [factory installed additionals] is not working correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users