Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Query about setting up a small network.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blackproton

blackproton

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hello all. It's been 6 years since I last logged in and my account still exists. I'm so amazed. Amyway,

Being mildly competent in computers and knowing very little about Networking, I'm looking to create a little network for all four of my kids without buying four computers. I have considered ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - G1610T, installing virtualBox on it and having four instances of ubuntu or windows running on it going to 4 monitors ect ect.. now, there is probably something I'm missing from this and there is probably an easier way as well. Any help or being able to point me in the right direction would be great. It's only needed for web browsing and basic word processing.
Peace.

Edited by blackproton, 12 June 2016 - 08:54 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

Are you asking how to get them online? How to build it? Configure the OS? What network equipment would it be connected to?

#3 blackproton

blackproton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

Wondering if that set up was possible and what if anything I've missed out hardware wise. It would be connected to my home router. Bt home hub five. What OS would I have to use?
Posted Image

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

Hi,

If the solution you need is only for web browsing and basic word processing and not games maybe this https://www.ncomputing.com/en/products/xseries/overview

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 blackproton

blackproton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

Thank you. Google hadn't turned that one up for me.
Posted Image

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

Thank you. Google hadn't turned that one up for me.

I have some ncomputing devices at my work that's why I know the solutions they have.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users