Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading a prebuild PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 klemen97

klemen97

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

hello, i am pretty new to computer building so forgive me if i ask some stupid questions.

I want to build a gaming PC that will be capable of running games like MGS 5 and The Witcher 3 on  high settings with decent frame rates.

I also already have a computer but i don't know if I can reuse some parts or if i am better off with building a completly new computer.

my current parts are:

- MB MSI B85M-E33 (B85, S1150 mATX, DDR3, Intel,EuP)

-Intel core i3-4130 (3,40GHz, 512KB, 3MB, 54W, 1150)

-Crucial Module 8GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800, CL=11, Unbeffered

-Power Supply Intel-tech Energon EPS AC 220-240V, 550W

-Intel-tech Desktop case Eterno H3 Octagon-RTX( Midi Tower, ATX, USB 3.0)

-MSI Video card Radeon R7 250 GDDR3 "GB/128bit

-Seagate desktop harddrive Barracuda(500GB 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA-3)

Please help me decide which parts (if any) should i keep and what  should I buy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

Upgrade video card to something better. AMD Polaris comes about two weeks and should go mid price range. If you don't want to wait, then grab Radeon R9 380 4GB.

I also recommend changing PSU to something better.

#3 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:53 AM

I agree a better video card wil do wonders. If you're really serious about performance and you have the money to do this -- if it were me I would consider dropping coin for a 4790k. Even though it will be EOL soon ( 5th gen4790k-4690k etc) it's still just nearly as fast as a 6700k and consider that those building a new system with a 6700k plan on keeping it for 2-3-4 years, and you could do the same with a 4790k system. You could upgrade the ram to 16GB total as well, and then you have the added benefit of being able to continue using your current operating system because you are not changing motherboards so you save money there. You also don't lose any speed by dropping a 4790k into a B85 motherboard you simply can't overlcock much if at all, but who cares you will have a modern I7 with a clockspeed of 4.0 GHZ by default.  So essentially you would be able to keep that B85/4790k and possible 480x / GTX 1070-1080 for many years and you will be on a strong platform.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users