Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Added RAM for Gateway GP7-450, Computer Turns On with 7-8 beeps with no display

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Supersomething

Supersomething

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:21 AM

Hello all,

I was given my late grandma's Gateway GP7-450 Desktop as we were cleaning her house and decided to use it as a retro gaming computer/'guinea pig' for computer building. The system is a Windows 98 SE with an Intel Pentium III Motherboard, 32MB of RAM, and 6.36 GB of Hard Drive space (Probably advertised as 8GB back in the day).

So the first 'experiment' I did was install RAM, in this case, there were three slots that allowed a maximum of 128MB each, so I brought three compatible 128MB RAM sticks (from here to be exact), thinking it would be easy. Unfortunately not the case. I probably should have brought only one to test (though I still have another 10 days to return and get a refund if need be), but even then, I'm now having problems with the monitor not turning on even with the old RAM back in as it was (with no other new RAM sticks)! I did take out and put the CMOS battery back in, all with the computer unplugged (and pressing the power button again after unplugging it, etc.). Nothing seems to be turning the monitor on. I just get 7-8 beeps, then nothing.

It is also worth mentioning that the RAM doesn't seem to go in far enough (without forcing it of course) for the latch to fit in the tiny crevice at the end of the stick, here's a couple pictures to show what I mean:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8I4l6zpbpPJVFhNQTU4S...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8I4l6zpbpPJMXZDRFNRe...

However, this aspect never seemed to cause any problems since it always was like this when my grandma got it, and the RAM sticks I brought are the same size from the crevice to the side that goes in the slot. I thought I mention this in case it actually means something significant, I'm just worried I accidentally damaged something despite being careful, I have no idea. I'd like to get this computer working again.

Sorry for the long read, but any thoughts on this?

Anything else useful that comes up I'll keep posting here.

Edited by Supersomething, 12 June 2016 - 01:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:57 AM

The RAM is definitely not seated correctly into the slot, it will have to go fully home and allow the securing latch to seat down.

Examine the slots and make sure one of the tiny contact fingers running along either edge hasn't got bent down into the bottom of the slot. If they are all consistent, RAM can simply be hard to fit. It is often the exact length to fit, so must descend vertically - if one end drops into place first the other can bind and be unable to move. The end closest to the edge of the board can have this problem, because the board flexes away from pressure. You may need to work a couple of fingertips under the edge of the board to support it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users