Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my CPU dead?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Saphira2021

Saphira2021

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:35 PM

I had some problems with overheating (i thought) on my computer and someone advised to replace the fen on a CPU. I purchased Cooler Master Hyper TX3, opened the desktop and after a long process of gently prying it off, removed the fan. Unfortunately, the CPU came out with it. I looked it up on YouTube and put it back and then put the fan on top following YouTube as well. The computer turns on and the fans work, but there are no beeps and it does not boot.

I am looking for help to figure out if CPU is damaged and i need a new one or did I just kill my computer?

Thank you

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

anytime I see the word "prying" in a phrase like "is my cpu dead" my usual answer is yes simply because one should never have to pry anything as fragile as a cpu, the only real way to find out is to test the cpu in another PC as far as I know also try swapping out ram modules see if that helps it boot as well as disconnecting any and all hard drives as well make it so just the cpu and 1 stick of ram and heatsink are connected so you can limit the fail points

if you can post to bios youll be able to tell if the cpu is dead or not

if the cpu came out with it that's telling me the cpu wasn't seated properly as far as I know most cpu's lock in place in the socket (if im wrong someone correct me)

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 11 June 2016 - 09:42 PM.

#3 Saphira2021

Saphira2021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:52 PM

anytime I see the word "prying" in a phrase like "is my cpu dead" my usual answer is yes simply because one should never have to pry anything as fragile as a cpu, the only real way to find out is to test the cpu in another PC as far as I know also try swapping out ram modules see if that helps it boot as well as disconnecting any and all hard drives as well make it so just the cpu and 1 stick of ram and heatsink are connected so you can limit the fail points

if you can post to bios youll be able to tell if the cpu is dead or not

if the cpu came out with it that's telling me the cpu wasn't seated properly as far as I know most cpu's lock in place in the socket (if im wrong someone correct me)

thank you. i can't post bios as the computer doesn't boot. is there a way to do it without boot up?

and i agree with you, it didn't look like CPU was seated properly. but since i never looked at it before this, i had no idea.

about disconnecting and trying things. i don't feel competent enough to try this. I can probably manage to put in another CPU but i don't know that will do anything as the base for it doesn't seem to lock it in place.

guess my only option is to take it to a repair shop? or do i give up now?

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

dont give up. 

did you use thermal compund?...

I dont know much about this type of thing....but i do know you have to use thermal compound when reinstalling a cpu

Edited by Condobloke, 11 June 2016 - 10:03 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Saphira2021

Saphira2021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

dont give up. 

did you use thermal compund?...

I dont know much about this type of thing....but i do know you have to use thermal compound when reinstalling a cpu

Thanks for your support. 

Yes, i did use thermal compound. that didn't save me from myself though. should have left well enough alone. thanks again

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

May seem elementary...but did you clean the old thermal paste from the CPU...before applying new thermal paste?

Did you examine the CPU for possible bent pins before replacing it in the system?

Louis

#7 Saphira2021

Saphira2021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

May seem elementary...but did you clean the old thermal paste from the CPU...before applying new thermal paste?

Did you examine the CPU for possible bent pins before replacing it in the system?

Louis

Louis,

Thank you for responding. Yes and yes. we did follow Youtube to clean. that was ok, but we also see bent pins in the CPU. that is why i think it is damaged and looking for help to figure out what to do next. attached is what it looks like now.

Attached Files

#8 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

wow that is ALOT of bent pins that thing is gone

and that is way too much thermal paste on the heatsink

what were you prying? because that lever that is sticking up from the socket should have kept the cpu in the socket

but yes that CPU is gone even 1 bent pin is bad let alone 20+

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 12 June 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#9 Saphira2021

Saphira2021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

wow that is ALOT of bent pins that thing is gone

and that is way too much thermal paste on the heatsink

what were you prying? because that lever that is sticking up from the socket should have kept the cpu in the socket

but yes that CPU is gone even 1 bent pin is bad let alone 20+

ok. that's what i thought. now, the question is, what CPU do i buy to replace it? would appreciate advice. thank you

#10 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:52 PM

do you have a pic of the top of the processor?

or even the model of the motherboard would help

edit: actually looking at your OP it tells me with your screen shot any AM3 CPU will do

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 12 June 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#11 Saphira2021

Saphira2021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

do you have a pic of the top of the processor?

or even the model of the motherboard would help

edit: actually looking at your OP it tells me with your screen shot any AM3 CPU will do

ok, do you have any advice on which one? clueless here (clearly). thanks so much for your help

#12 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:46 PM

anythingthat has am3 socket will do there is a huge variety out there with various prices

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671 600005863

#13 Saphira2021

Saphira2021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

anythingthat has am3 socket will do there is a huge variety out there with various prices

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671 600005863

ok. thank you! as this is a long list. do i only look at AMD? and if so, do I look at AM3 or AM3+ socket? or i can pick any?

thank you for answering. I appreciat it very much

#14 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

just AM3 is all you should look at

am2 or am3+ wont fit in the socket

AMD is the only manufacturer I believe of AM3 chipsets

#15 Saphira2021

Saphira2021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:23 PM

just AM3 is all you should look at

am2 or am3+ wont fit in the socket

AMD is the only manufacturer I believe of AM3 chipsets

Not questioning your knowledge, just want to make sure i get the right thing. attached is the picture of my chip. i believe it says AM2. but you are not talking about the chip, you said socket. Are they not the same "model name"? or will AM3 fit here? sorry for all the questions, but i am very confused and well out of my depth. thanks again for all your help.

ETA: just found this website with exact model i have and it does say socket AM3

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/Phenom_II_X4/820.html

Attached Files

Edited by Saphira2021, 12 June 2016 - 04:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users