Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeram Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chevisryder

chevisryder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

I installed freeRam Xp yesterday, then fooled around with the admin services following the advice of this website. My DVD burner stopped working so I did system restore.

Since, freeRamXP doesn't run anymore and I can't install it.

When I try to reinstall it it says that I need to uninstall it to reinstall it, but I have to run it to reinstall....I've also installed spybot and incredimail but had to reinstall both after the system restore.

I just want to get rid of the free Ram XP

any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:59 AM

This is from FreeRAM XP Pro readme file:

To UNINSTALL:
In the program window (not from the system tray), click on the
Information menu, which is third from the left under the title
bar (beginning with the File and Settings menus). Then click on
the Uninstall option. After the uninstall process ends, delete
the executable file (program file). Note: You may have to restart
before attempting to delete the program file.

To manually install (not recommended; for advanced users only),
first exit out of FreeRAM XP Pro, and then delete the program
file. Note: You may have to restart to delete the program file.
Next, open the Start Menu and click on Run. Type in regedit
and hit Enter. Delete the key at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\YourWare Solutions. Then navigate to the
key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and delete the value named FreeRAM XP to complete the uninstall process.

David
Please note: If you are having trouble finding the program file in
whatever case, try searching your hard drive for "FreeRAM" without
quotes.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

RAM by Fred Langa
Here's the problem: With most computer things that can be "used up" (hard drive space, bandwidth, etc.) you want as much to be *un*used as possible. But it's just the opposite with RAM, because unused RAM is wasted RAM.
That's worth repeating, because it's the central point: Unused RAM is wasted RAM.
Thus, any tool that "frees up" RAM or "creates holes in RAM" or any similar thing is really creating a pool of unused--- wasted!--- RAM.
You see, your RAM is the fastest memory your PC has. Memory operations in RAM operate at nanosecond speeds (billionths of a second), six orders of magnitude faster than the millisecond speeds (thousandths of a second) of memory operations written to a hard drive, as "virtual memory" in the PC's swapfile.
"Freeing RAM" means you're taking data and code out of the fastest memory your system has and transferring it to the swapfile on disk, which is the *slowest* memory your system normally has. That doesn't help you. In fact, it slows you down!
Windows does a pretty good job of keeping your RAM more or less optimally full, *which is the way you want it* because you WANT as much stuff as possible kept in the fastest-available storage. When RAM gets too full, Windows correctly dribbles out the least-used and least-important code and data to the slower hard-drive storage of virtual memory; and that too is just what you want.
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-12-16.htm#2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users