Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had to reinstall Windows 7. Can't find a Network Controller.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:17 PM

I had a friend bring me his Dell Inspiron Laptop Computer.  He had downloaded Windows 10 and the computer locked up on him.  Once we got it going I tried doing a system restore which didn't work.  I then tried both a system refresh and then a system reset and both went to about 65% and then would not continue due to unknown problem.

I finally decided to just reinstall Windows 7 and have all but one thing taken care of.  The computer is a Dell Inspiron Laptop.  I went to Dell's site and downloaded all of the drivers I needed.  I had the Service Tag so I was able to get the proper drivers.  After installation of the drivers I went to Device Manager and checked the status of the drivers.  I have one that is not working.  I've looked all over the internet and several times on the Dell Site but I can find the Network Controller.  I don't know where else to look.  I am able to get on the internet using the Ethernet connection but I can't seem to figure out how to get the Wireless to work. 

I've installed all of the wireless drivers on Dell's site.  Please help me with this request for assistance.  I've tried everything and would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

You should have a yellow exclamation mark next to your wireless controller in Device Manager. Right click and select properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

Edit: Is Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 June 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:28 AM

Windows 7 is 64 bit.  The Hardware ID from Device Manager is PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_00101028&REV_01

I thank you for your assistance and look forward to hearing from you shortly.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:05 AM

This is a broadcom chipset and unfortunately Broadcom only provides drivers to OEMs and nowhere else. Is this the driver you downloaded? If not then install. If this is the driver post back. What is the model number of the Dell Inspiron?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CXW91

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

Tried the diver you sent and I was able to install the driver but it did not set up the Network Controller.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 17 N7010

Going to the Network downloads for this model Inspiron I see a Dell Wireless 1520 Half Mini Card.

There is also a WL 1501 Half Mini Card.

I really appreciate your assistance.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:51 AM

Currently, there are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and the Network Card is detected? Is there a wireless icon in the System Tray?

Edit: If you still have the yellow exclamation mark I would download this driver if you have not done so.

I would also download and install the following drivers under the Chipset catagory

Intel Management Engine

Intel Mobile Chipset

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 June 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#7 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

There is a yellow exclamation in Device Manager.  It is under the "Other" Category.  It is listed as Network Controller.

There is no icon in the tray for Wireless.  Only the Lan Connection.

I downloaded all suggested including the Intel Management Engine and Mobile Chipset.

None helped.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

Is the Hardware ID on the Network Controller the same one you posted in your post #3?

I am looking into another driver from Acer with the same broadcom chipset that seems to also work for HP that was listed on the

pcidatabase.com site.

Here is the driver. I would create a restore point before installing it. If it does not work I am not sure what else to try other than perhaps using a USB wifi dongle.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 June 2016 - 01:40 PM.

#9 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

I will try the Acer driver.  It is the exact same hardware id

#10 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:28 PM

It worked.  The Acer Broadcam driver worked perfectly.  I am writing using my wireless connection.   You are a true blessing.

Many thanks.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

Your Welcome, 

Amazing the Dell drivers didn't work but the Acer one did. Go figure.

#12 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

I'm awestruck.  Thanks so much.  You've really made my day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users