Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a router that works with hotspots

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 biffspagnuts

biffspagnuts

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:07 PM

Hi

I am looking for a router that has a removal-able external antenna , and will distribute signal from a free wifi hotspot. Does such a device exist?!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

so you want your router to connect wirelessly to a wifi hotspot and basically act as a extender? I recommened any of the Linksys wrt routers, they are able to connect to a wireless signal as opposed to most routers connecting to only a wired connection, even a old wrt54-g should do the trick (what I used as wireless bridge before I went to pure wired network)

#3 biffspagnuts

biffspagnuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

Sounds good to me. I have a parabolic tp link dish on the roof of the house getting signal from down the street. Right now I have a network adapter, that runs to the pc in the attic from the dish. I really just want signal in the basement to play spotify on a tablet. There are lots of houses around so ideally I would not like to extend the mediocre signal and start a separate network that is  marginally secured. Will the wrt routers let me do this too?

Someone turned me on to "virtual router" today maybe I should play around with that program aswell. https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com

Edited by biffspagnuts, 11 June 2016 - 05:56 PM.

#4 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

ive never used the virtual router program but a wrt router will most definitely help you create a wireless bridge between your existing router and the wrt and the wrt will then broadcast its own signal in the basement as opposed to the same signal from the existing router, another option you might want to look into is a powerline, plug a powerline into wall outlet and connect via Ethernet and plug the opther end into wall outlet and Ethernet in basement the ac outlets in the house will act like Ethernet cables thus carrying a wird connection to the basement where even the cheapest router will be able to support the powerline Ethernet terminating into the router (sorry for wall of text)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users