Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! How can I permanently stop this Windows 10 Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 amjamm

amjamm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

I thought I had taken care of it and it is back.  I don't want to wake up to a Windows 10 machine.

Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2016 - 01:16 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

Give GRC/Gibson's Never10 utility a try, if still nogo, report back.  I was going to also suggest Spybot Anti-Beacon, however, it might not be needed.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 amjamm

amjamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

It seems to have worked! Thank you!

#4 MarysFriend

MarysFriend

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

I have a similar situation to this "Topic Starter" above, but more questions.  New member here, so I may not be in the correct forum.

In mid May my laptop suffered a "sneak attack". Late at night I left my computer running an anti-virus scan.When I returned a few minutes later there was a notice on the screen with a countdown clock saying I had second before Windows 10 would be installed.  Nothing we did, including clicking the "more information" link or disconnecting from the internet and turning off the computer would stop the installation.

For almost 3 weeks I struggled with a printer which would no longer work correctly even though I downloaded recommended drivers; aps would no longer work and /or had disappeared; then one night my computer would not let me turn it off! I found the "solution" for this, a problem MS had known about at least since August 2015,but after following those instructions the machine took much longer to boot. At this point I followed the instructions to roll back my computer to Windows 7and reinstalled the original printer drivers from disk.

My computer is a Dell Vostro1520 that came originally with Vista, was changed to XP, and finally upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium using a disk (along with key) which I still have.  I liked 7 very much. I have 103 GB free of 148 GB Drive. Memory = 6GB.  Processor =  Intel® Core ™ Duo CPU 76570@2.10GHZ.  I use Firefox for browser and Open Office for word processing.

I had consistently refused the update to Windows 10 because I wanted to deal with the "learning curve" etc. at a time of my choosing, and was planning to buy a new computer, probably with Windows 10 on it, within the next 9 months or so.  Now I am thinking of buying either a MAC or switching to LINUX because of MS's invasive behaviors. But not right now. And now the little boxes trying to get me to install Windows 10 are appearing again.

1.  Should I make a copy of Windows 10 on a thumb drive before doing anything else, just in case I need/want to go back to it after July 29th, when they are going to charge $119. for it  How do I do that? I don't know which files contain Windows 10.

2. Should I then follow the instructions given to amjamm?

Thank you in advance for your help.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

However you want to make a Windows 10 copy, proceed.  And, consider making backups of your data folders & files.  GRC/Gibson's Never10 should work for you after getting your Windows 7 w/key back onto your hard-drive.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 MarysFriend

MarysFriend

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

I think the rollback MS 10 supplied worked to the extent that windows 7 seems to be working now. I am in fact using the Dell laptop now. But I don't know what command to use to back up the Windows 10 OS onto a thumb drive, or if that is even possible?

#7 MarysFriend

MarysFriend

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

I don't know where Windows 10 is located, the file name etc. on this laptop now.  I'd read that sometimes it's in a hidden file, but that it was downloaded in "segments" in a series of what appeared to be updates KB???????

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:40 PM

I think it's an elephant off the root directory of C partition; let's ask the others here, they will know.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

I am trying to get the exact link for you ....and it would appear that Microsoft is down !!....it may just be my pc...back shortly...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

i think it was my connection.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

or better still....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

To prevent Windows 10 from downloading use GWX Control Panel

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

As for down the track....mac or linux.....

I have 6 pc's

They were all set up using various windows os's

I was absolutely blown away with the invasiveness of win 10. I used all sorts of strategies to try and make it work for me....to avoid the telemetry etc....but eventually realised that I was forever looking over my shoulder to be sure that something had not slipped through......

Not the best way to have to live life.....

So. for me the choice was fairly straight forward. I would go with whatever offered the best support.  That immediately excluded mac...because here at BC the amount of mac support is not great....and certainly not sufficient for me to feel comfortable.

Linux. A learning curve. Not insurmountable at all. In fact now that I have been at it for approx a month...it is in fact simple. Attaching a printer?...plug the printer in turn it on....i can guarantee in less than 5 minutes it will be up and running. Scanning as well.

Anyway....for the time being you can download win 10 to a usb....and then keep the usb safe. That is what i did. and when I finally put linux on one of the pc's....I made sure I had an external hard drive with a full,back up of win 10 on it and a few thumb drives to boot from and a couple of rescue discs...etc etc etc

Currently the external hard rive is being considered for other things, the thumb drives are being used for other purposes and the rescue discs may as well be used for frisbees by the kids.

Why?....because I have Linux

Stable

Updates just happen

it browses

it use libre office for that sort of stuff

it plays movies and music and stores pics....

And most important of all....I am no longer looking over my shoulder waiting for something to happen. It just works

Edited by Condobloke, 11 June 2016 - 06:04 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 MarysFriend

MarysFriend

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:25 PM

I think it's an elephant off the root directory of C partition; let's ask the others here, they will know.

Thank you so much for your help.(You'd have laughed if you had seen me searching "elephant off the root directory".  The search engine gave me root directory, and then references to pachyderms and elephant ear plants! I'll look in the glossary on this site.). I'm an old woman who taught computer programming languages - they call them legacy languages now - in community college.  DH started with computers when you programmed them with wires that you plugged into boards, and stayed in IT until he retired.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

I'm glad to have given you a laugh   :)   I cannot remember what the directory is called -- I deleted it long ago.

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

It is kept in a directory called ...         $WINDOWS.~BT

you can access it by reading here

Follow the instructions there

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users