Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PattyWolf1

PattyWolf1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

My hard drive crashed and I took my desktop to Bestbuy and they replaced. I had to order Windows 8 repair/recovery CD. I received the cd and now I can't get this to load. My computer is a gateway desktop all in one. I need help as I am not computer savy. Anyone willing to help I would truly appreciate.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 June 2016 - 11:45 AM.
removed email address to protect against spam bots. Topic moved from General Chat to Internal Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:10 AM

Admin/mod will remove your email address and move thread to hardware forum.  In the meantime, did you keep the original hard-drive?  If not, can you get your original hard-drive back?  What happened to you is one reason one of the best minds [not me!] here in BC does not recommend going to any retail places.  However, let's try to fix the problem before us.  Exactly what DVD did you order? Does it match the OS that was or is on the original hard-drive?  Do you have the COA from the bottom of the computer [I'm guessing laptop here]?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:21 AM

@RJS
It's an AIO desktop (the kind with the screen built in). I concur with the recommendation to avoid retail places like the plague. Dedicated computer repair shops tend to be a bit better, but it is always best to fix stuff yourself.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

Please tell us what is or is not happening when you try to get the disk to load.

Are you getting any error messages? If so, what is the error?

#5 PattyWolf1

PattyWolf1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

Yes, I do have my old hard drive.  they gave it back to me because I was going to get someone to transfer that data.  when I turn my computer on I have to keep hitting the delete button for it to go into the BIOS SETUP UTILITY.  Once I am there I have to go to the Boot Options.  I was told to make sure that my 1st boot device was CD&DVD.  That is listed in the 1st boot.  I did F10 to save it and restart computer.  I inserted my windows 8.1 system recovery disk and it will run.  While loading the word GATEWAY comes up on my screen and then I can hear it running for a few minutes.  Next the words PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD OR DVD APPEAR at which time I hit enter.  I can still hear the system moving. Then the words WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER appear and then below it says "windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause" then the system automatically restarts. If I let the system start up on its own and don't touch anything the next thing that comes up is Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected device and press key.

I had a friend of mine tell me that the UeFi needs to be turned off and to turn on legacy mode.  I can't find that anywhere and don't know what to do.

I have no idea what to do and need direction

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

In order to use a repair disk, you will need the old hard drive connected to your PC if it will support 2 or more hard drives. I need to know the exact model # of your PC, and if you know how many hard drives it will support please provide that information as well. Model #s are typically located on the back of the computer and/or on the original box the PC came in.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:08 PM

In order to use a repair disk, you will need the old hard drive connected to your PC if it will support 2 or more hard drives. I need to know the exact model # of your PC, and if you know how many hard drives it will support please provide that information as well. Model #s are typically located on the back of the computer and/or on the original box the PC came in.

This advice is wrong factory repair disk or Windows Setup disk does not need old HDD to install on a new HDD the faulty HDD probably had the factory recovery image store in one of the recovery partition created by the computer manufacturer and the factory recovery (factory repair) disk contains the copy of the image store at HDD. The factory recovery disk  can be use to install on any HDD as long as factory recovery is done on the original computer which is factory recovery image created for.  OP maybe factory recovery disk damage or dirty if so clean the disc follow the instruction at below website url link. The optical DVD/CD player laser lens is dirty follow the instructions at below website url link to clean laser lens.

"How to clean & repair CDs & DVDs"
http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-clean-repair-CDs-DVDs-/10000000010796662/g.html

"How to Maintain Your DVD Player"
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-maintain-your-dvd-player.html

Edited by FreeBooter, 16 June 2016 - 09:10 PM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users