Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Pro - on my 4th OS reset - wish I had win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 paradiddle1

paradiddle1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

I have had to reset and reload Windows 10 Pro 4 times now to get it to work again. In an 8 month period.  I end up with problems that are all different but in the end a reset fixes all problems even though I start thinking its hardware or my cable modem or my ISP.

1. Lost Sound - had to call dell and they worked me through it
  2. Outlook stopped receiving e-mails - no one could help me with this ( Comcast or Microsoft Outlook help)
  3. Internet slowdown - reset fixed every time
  4. Firefox would stop saving passwords
  5. smart screen stopped working
  6. lost one drive sync - one drive guys could not help me.
  7. I wish I kept a log because this computer has been frustrating

I wonder if it can be a malware issue?   I had McAfee from dell running and I run Malware bytes all the time plus c cleaner

I did run System Mechanic when the first time it happened (an IOLO product that is used by Dell as well).

System Mechanic seems to find "problems" but is it worth it or does it create more problems

Or does Win 10 just have problems

I also had a Dell Laptop that came with Win 8.1 - I recently upgraded to Win 10 and I think it does not run as good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:09 AM

In my opinion Windows 10 still has a lot of work ahead of it. In regards to your Windows 8 laptop that upgraded to Windows 10 Dell has a page showing  computers tested for Windows 10 and thosen not supported.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297954

Dell has a set of diagnostics you can run by tapping F12 at boot. You may want to run it to determine if your problems are hardware related. 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN114988

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

John_C21,

While I do not disagree that there remains a lot of work "to perfect" Windows 10, having used it since the preview days I can say with assurance that it's definitely very good in its current state.

I have now upgraded several machines that came from the factory with Windows 8.1, one very well used but also very stable, and those have gone perfectly without the need to do any Reset installations afterward.  Windows 7 machines have been slightly more problematic, but that's typically because they are "well-used" and exhibiting issues of their own pre-upgrade.

Anyone who is considering an upgrade needs to do everything possible to ensure that the foundation OS upon which that upgrade is to be built is in the best shape it can be prior to doing the upgrade.   As far as I'm concerned, until or unless you can get a clean result from SFC /SCANNOW you should not presume that a Windows 10 instance created by upgrading that earlier Windows OS will necessarily work as expected.  

If you cannot get a clean SFC result (and/or DISM result, if we're talking Windows 8/8.1) then my suggestion is to back up all one's user data prior to the upgrade, do the upgrade, then immediately do a Reset with "Keep My Files" option when the initial upgrade is complete.  If this does not result in a stable system then back up your user data files from the Win10 system (if you need to - if not you've got the backup from pre-upgrade) and perform a Reset without anything being kept, as this is the equivalent of doing a clean Windows 10 installation.

Many people also do not realize (and not that they should) that Windows 10 is a lot more finicky about device drivers and the drivers that Microsoft has in their massive driver library for certain devices are not always the best.  I always encourage people to go to the support page for their specific computer and check to see if there are any new device drivers since they purchased their machine, paying particular attention to ones that make specific note of compatibility with Windows 10 (or Windows 8/8.1 - if nothing specific for Win10) and to download and install those.  It can make a huge difference.

If you find that for some bizarre reason Windows Update decides it simply must override the device driver you've installed and installs a suboptimal one (or ones), then you need to go to the "Change Device Installation Settings" screen and change the default "Yes (recommended)" to "No (your device might not work as expected."  This prevents device driver updates from Windows Update (or at least it does as of this writing).  I have not needed to do that on my HP laptop, but know of several people who kept having issues because Windows Update wanted to update a device driver to something that really didn't work.  Those kinks will be worked out over time, but if you need to block them for now there's a mechanism to do so.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

I've been running the insider versions on 2 desktops since 10/1/2014, I have a 6 month old Dell laptop with the release version of 10, and I just finished converting 28 desktops from 7 to 10.  They're all running fine.  I'll add that the only games I play are Klondike and spider solitaire.  Personally I believe in the philosophy "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  If what you have is working fine for you, I see no reason to upgrade or downgrade because you're just giving Murphy a chance to jump out and get you.  Windows 7 is supported until 2020 and 8.1 until 2023.  You'll likely need a new PC by those dates, and they will come with Windows pre-installed and fully supported by the manufacturer.

The 28 desktops we upgraded are used for teaching purposes, so it was decided that more and more students would be looking for Windows 10 information.  We upgraded 4 of them several months ago and carefully observed to see if there were problems before proceeding with the remaining 24.  We had a few "people problems", but Windows 10 didn't show any problems.  YMMV.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:01 AM

Every computer I have upgraded has always, without fail, run much better on Windows 10 than Windows 7.  Windows 10 is simply head-and-shoulders above the rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users