Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Problem: "Keylogger.SpectorPro.r"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 swens

swens

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

This is weird.  I recently purchased a Seagate Plus for Mac external HD for backups and before connecting ran a full virus scan on my system and found nothing.  I connected the drive and started Time Machine which backs up my machine just fine except my virus software (webroot secure anywhere) identifies this as a virus.  So, I use the removal tool which indicates a successful removal then I even reformat the external drive and start the process over.  Same result, still finding this supposed virus.  I continue to repeat the aforementioned procedure only this time I format the external and zero it out, just in case.  Then I start the backup again; same result.

I've run Malwarebytes and there is no malware, but I'm not sure if this is a virus (I've never had one) or a file that my a/v software isn't recognizing and maybe should be excluded from the scan.  I'm posting the log from the scan in case anyone has experience with this.  Any advice would be helpful.

Here is the log;

Automated Cleanup Engine

Starting Cleanup at 2016-Jun-10 15:00:00

Starting Routine> Detected /Volumes/1TB Seagate BUP Mac SL Media/Backups.backupdb/Robert Swensen’s MacBook Pro/2016-06-10-095535.inProgress/A8683D69-905D-4C46-82C4-EF55E4C930D7/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist [Name: "Keylogger.SpectorPro.r", MD5: 00000000000000000000000000000000]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

This seems like a false positive from the Webroot software. See the following page:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/keylogger-spectorpro-r-is-detected-as-a-threat-However-unable-to/td-p/225490

#3 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:07 AM

Thanks so much.  You know this is exactly what I thought as well.  Thanks for the confirmation.  Personally, I've quit using time machine and have started backing up my files manually.  Again, thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users