Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One monitor goes black for 5 seconds when watching MP4 videos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 russmbiz

russmbiz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

This is a very weird problem that has been bugging me for months. First things first, the relevant hardware:

• Left Monitor: Hannspree  HF207 at 1600x900 Resolution
  • Right Monitor: LG-W2242 at 1920x1080 Resolution
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce 660ti
  • CPU: Intel i5-2400S
  • 12 GB RAM

I have both monitors hooked up to the Nvidia card with my left monitor (HF207) as the "Main Monitor" in the Windows settings. Both are hooked up using DVI. (Well, one is using a DVI->HDMI passive converter cable)

So here's the problem: Whenever I begin to play an MP4 file in the browser OR in VLC, my left monitor turns black for 5~ seconds. After that it turns back on and everything works fine again. My right monitor never turns off at all when this happens. The strange thing is that once I refresh the page or stop the video, the monitor turns off again for about 5 seconds. I have confirmed that this only happens with MP4 videos.

Even stranger is that if I set my right monitor as the main monitor this problem goes away entirely. I can visit sites with MP4 videos and open them up in VLC and neither screen turns off. I'd leave things set up this way if I didn't find it annoying to have everything open all the way over there ->. Plus I just really want to know why this is happening.

I had this exact same problem when I had an Nvidia 550 GPU in this same computer. It was the GPU I had just before the one I currently have. I have used the NVidia control panel to set all my GPU settings back to factory and that didn't help at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

Update: I thought it may be the DVI->HDMI Cable. I replaced it and still have the same problem.

Update 2: I had a new idea and tried setting the left monitor to 1920x1080 resolution. That solved the problem. Unfortunately, my left monitor only has 1600x900 native resolution. I'm guessing the codec is doing some sort of downsampling to match my resolution, resulting in the temporary black screen? Any ideas on how to solve this?

Edited by russmbiz, 10 June 2016 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:02 AM

What are the dimensions of the MP4 files?

Which codec do they use?

Which version of VLC are you using?

Can you reproduce the problem with another program? (Such as Windows Media Player, MPC-HC, or GOM Media Player)

The monitor that turns black, it is connected with a DVI > HDMI cable?

#3 russmbiz

russmbiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:46 AM

Check out the updates: 

"Update: I thought it may be the DVI->HDMI Cable. I replaced it and still have the same problem.

Update 2: I had a new idea and tried setting the left monitor to 1920x1080 resolution. That solved the problem. Unfortunately, my left monitor only has 1600x900 native resolution. I'm guessing the codec is doing some sort of downsampling to match my resolution, resulting in the temporary black screen? Any ideas on how to solve this?"

It doesn't matter what software or codec I use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users