Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sluggish Operation, Freeze Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ElBob

ElBob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

In the last 4 or 5 days my laptop has been acting sluggish. It freezes up during virus scan on certain dll files. At first I thought it was a McAfee problem, but it has done the same thing in Word. Certain documents want open and freezes up the PC. I have not added anything new, but have recently started using a couple of USB flash drives.

Seems like certain files are corrupted. When I was transferring to the flash drive it stopped on 2 MS Word docs that would not transfer.

MS Word use to just open instantly, but now at certain times it takes 10 to 20 seconds.

The problem is sporadic. PC will work fine, until I try to open one of the docs that it hangs on, or until the virus scan hangs on a file, etc.

I have tried the usual fixes that never work, but sound like they should: system restore, defrag, disk cleanup, PC Pitstop Optimize, SpyBot, windows and virus scan updates, yada, yada, etc.

I have a 3 year old Sony PCG-FRV25, XP Pro. It has work fantastic till now. Never a serious issue till now.

Any suggestions? Please make it simple, I am only a fledgling geek!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

Try another System Restore that goes a few days back of when the problem began.

Then try to use your av scan on the particular Word files that are having the problem.

As far as how long it takes Word to open - did you remove Word or Office from your startup file? 10 to 20 seconds to open if it is not in your startup file is normal, even with a fast computer with lots of ram.

Try cleaning all temp files, which is just normal maintenance.
(left click "My Computer, then right click on the hard drive and choose "Properties", click on the "Disk Cleanup" button.
After it scans just choose the Temp Files to delete and the others at your discretion.

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 August 2006 - 12:11 PM.

#3 ElBob

ElBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

THanks, I appreciate the info.

I have completed all of the things you suggested, and I am still tinkering, but it is still not right. It took like 5 minutes to delete the problematic Word file, only 120kb. It wasn't responding, but finally completed the task. The virus scan showed no problems. There just seem to be a conflict or something.

Thanks again.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

The problem is sporadic. PC will work fine, until I try to open one of the docs that it hangs on, or until the virus scan hangs on a file, etc.

I think the word file itself got corrupted so that Word couldn't read it. I've had that happen to me. I could wait till doomsday and the file wouldn't open, and sometimes Word wouldn't open either. I know there is software that can fix those kinds of things so that the file can open, but unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of it. I do remember, that when a fixed file was opened, that serious editing and reformatting needed to be done.

I suspect the AV hung up because it was trying to read that particular word file and could not open it because of the file corruption.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 August 2006 - 01:18 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

It might have been corrupted - happens some times.

How much free space do you have on the computer, how much system ram, and what is the size of your page file?

From Windows Help:

Open System in Control Panel.
On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System managed size.

For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives.
The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system.

Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.

#6 ElBob

ElBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:23 PM

Hey, I am appreciating all the info, from both of you. Here is additional info from my end that may be pertinent.

The PC has 512MB total physical memory, 99.57 available.

I changed the initial page file setting from 672 to 768.

The corrupt suggestion makes sense, since it stops at the same place every time. I dumped the 2 Word files, no big loss.

With the virus scan, it was freezing up at c:\lotus\123\lsmisen.dll . I have not used Lotus in years, so I uninstalled, which freed up about 85MB. Now the virus scan freezes up on c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\wmidcprv.dll .

Everything else seems to be working at the moment, except the scan.

Thanks again and I look forward to more recommendations. By the way I am technically challenged and appreciate the straight talk. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users