Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Twitch troll loses $50,000 after PayPal refuse to refund donations

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

Now this is funny, talk about karma.

Archer gave false hope to Twitch streamer ‘LegendaryLea’ who began dancing across her room, ecstatic after seeing user iNexus_Ninja made a $250 donation followed by several more donations totalling $11,500.

The 18-year-old troll then reportedly sent other streamers NoSleepTV, Sodapoppin and Dizzykitten donations bringing the figure up to $50,000.

Archer was planning to invoke the Buyer Protection clause through PayPal one month after donating, which would cancel the transactions and the streamers would be left with nothing but debt.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/31812381/anthony-archer-loses-50-000-after-paypal-refuse-to-refund-donations/#page1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:30 PM

that's awesome way to go paypal :)

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:18 PM

Wondering what his parents did when they found out about it. If his name is not on the credit card, he doesn't lose the money. His parents do, unless the kid has the means to pay it off.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,551 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:49 PM

You have a good point here if the kids name wasn't on the  card he technically stole it, It now becomes a problem for the parents and the bank,  If the parents want their money back the bank will press theft and fraud charges and as the kid is 18 years old faces the real possibility of jail time.

PS

He tried to screw others over by leaving them in debt, The judge will see it for what it is a spiteful malicious act and won't go easy on him I think.

Edited by NickAu, 10 June 2016 - 10:55 PM.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Talk about what goes around comes around.

#6 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

this is a similar case that happened in anada when a son used a parents credit card for a freemium game and racked up 1500 in purchases, the bank stated if they wanted the cash refunded theyd have to charge the child with fraud, the parents didn't press charges so go stuck with the debt their son caused, I hope his parents charge em how else will he learn if they just suck up the debt and give em a pass on it

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,551 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

I hope his parents charge em how else will he learn if they just suck up the debt and give em a pass on it

+1.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

If the parents decide not to charge him, I hope they have their own punishment for the kid to pay them back.

To pay back that much would take him years.

Gee, kid, we had to use your college fund to pay for what you did. Want to go to college? You have to pay for it yourself or get a lot of free ride scholarships.

OR

We have gone through the legal process to garnish your paychecks (if he has a job) for xx amount each paycheck until it is re-paid.

#9 gtrejo

gtrejo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

Good to see PayPal finally doing something about this. I've seen several streamers get their donations disputed and lose the money.

#10 oldguyjesse67

oldguyjesse67

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:03 PM

Wondering what his parents did when they found out about it. If his name is not on the credit card, he doesn't lose the money. His parents do, unless the kid has the means to pay it off.

I don't think they would be parents after that lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users