Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosting Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewM1990

AndrewM1990

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could please get some advice on which web-hosting service I should go with based on my needs. I’d like a site where I can host my professional portfolio, establish a blog, talk about things that interest me, and perhaps even sell some of the writing and critiquing services that I offer. 

Here’s the thing though---I’m not interested in one of those cookie cutter hosting services that makes everything really simple and easy. This may sound odd, but I’ve been dabbling in HTML, CSS, and Javascript for a few years now, so I’d like to be able to stretch my coding wings a bit. 

I’d prefer something cheap, although I’m happy to spend more if the service is good. Any advice on this would be very deeply appreciated. 

Thanks!  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:48 PM

I was going to recommend GoDaddy, however, I'm not sure anymore.  My suggestion is to find 1 or 2 people that are presently doing real well at the level you aspire to, ask them what hosting services is being used.  A friend of mine uses bluehost, however I'm not aware of their costs.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 June 2016 - 07:44 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:07 PM

ive heard good things about "justhost"

#4 Wizu

Wizu

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:47 PM

Hi,

For webhosting, there are alot of choice out there and most web hosting out there will have those thing you need.

Not sure have you heard of host4geeks

URL: https://host4geeks.com/shared-hosting

Currently i am using them, so far their service is good and the price wise seem cheap, and currently they have some promo on going. 

if you are ok, can you try my affiliates link :)

https://backyard.host4geeks.com/aff.php?aff=139

Another nice hosting that i try before is jaguarpc, so far service is good
URL: https://www.jaguarpc.com/

#5 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:46 AM

If you just want something cheap I would suggest BlueHost or HostGator. Support isn't amazing since you get what you pay for. In regards to uptime, however, both have been solid for me in the past. Maybe start on one of those and then transfer the site after you need something faster?

#6 KJRose

KJRose

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Hostgator has really done me very well. They have never been down and tech help is pretty good . They are mid priced but I have to say, you get what you pay for these days. 

#7 wignall6

wignall6

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:58 AM

I have been through many web hosting companies over the years, there is so much of a choice out there. The low budget hosting companies tend to be the worst they offer little support and they oversell the resources on the server. There is one hosting company I know which is very good not too high budget and offer amazing support. They limit the amount of accounts they run on a server and they also limit the amount of resources an account can use.

https://www.simplexwebs.com/

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:17 PM

Do you just need web hosting? For example, do you already own the domain for the site?

Are you looking for the easiest way to get a simple website up, or does stretching your wings include learning the nitty gritty of getting the website to work? IE DNS, email, security, apps, etc.

#9 sweedishfish

sweedishfish

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

My list would probably be;

• Networksolutions
  • Hostgator
  • Godady
  • 1&1 isn't too bad if you're going to do basic/entry level stuff.

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:54 PM

For free, see the first post of this thread. It's a curated list of free hosts along with a brief statement about what to expect that I maintain. I would stick with the sites in the "good" category.

If you are willing to install your own web server stack and deal with securing it, you could use a small VPS instead. here is a curated list of good and bad free VPS providers (same site, but I don't maintain this one). I can personally vouch for https://freevps.us and https://FreeDomain.Club (my handle is @Scáth on both forums), although I will warn that FreeDomain.Club is having a lot of issues lately.

Edited by ScathEnfys, 10 July 2016 - 11:54 PM.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#11 badabum

badabum

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

I'd suggest Sitegroung or A2. Wouldn't recommend iPage, Bluehost, Hostgator and most of other services that belong to Endurance group. Seems like they have too many products to ensure high quality for all of them. I used iPage for the last year and the uptime was terrible. I suggest checking hostingfacts.com for hosting reviews and if you are from the UK, check this list.

#12 TechWiz365

TechWiz365

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:32 AM

GoDaddy or Host Gator are good cheap web hosts that will help you run a blog and portfolio site.

#13 olbond

olbond

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

GoDaddy is my option!

#14 KJRose

KJRose

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

Thank you everyone, I did find a solution to my situation. I am using 247-host and really enjoying my experience, si we can mark this post as solved. Thank you again

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:50 PM

We will not close this thread...you are not the OP.

OP hasn't been back to site since making initial post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users