Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp keeps crashing - not sure which piece of hardware is at fault

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SharkyNB

SharkyNB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:02 PM

Hello! New to the forums, hoping someone may be able to help me out with an issue im having.

About 4 or 5 years ago I built my own computer with the following hardware:

-GX 650W power supply

-EVGA P55 FTW 200 motherboard

-intel i5 760 (2.8ghz) cpu

-GeForce GTX 400 graphic card

-8GB RAM (2 x 4gb sticks)

-1TB Samsung HDD (internal)

-1TB Seagate HDD (external)

-Windows 7 OS

With the exception of a hard drive crash this comp has worked amazingly. I generally use this as my work computer which is mostly photoshop and illustrator. I sometimes game on it but not very often.

Over the last two months ive started having an issue where I will boot up the computer, it will work totally fine for maybe 15 - 20 minutes, and then it shuts down. Just like a light switch went out, totally turns off. It will attempt to restart itself, but it will shut down again around the time it starts loading windows. It will do this several times, asking if I want to start in safe mode, but it generally doesn't make it past windows loading. Oddly enough, it seems to correct itself after doing one of the following: (1) I open up the tower and air blast the dust out of it, or (2) it manages to reach the windows repair screen and can make it through a windows repair/system restore. After this happens it will boot up just fine, and will work normally for a few days at a time. I have since been leaving the computer on, as it seems to happen everytime I turn it off for the night and turn it back on the next day. If it stays on, it will work fine after the initial crash (usually).

I have no idea what is causing this. At this point my tower is completely devoid of dust as im blasting it every couple of days. The motherboard will issue a series of beeps at startup, if there is a hardware problem, it is supposed to beep out a separate code but so far it has not done this. Ive heard it beep the separate code before so I know that it should be working. My only thoughts are either the power supply is dying or the CPU is. Since the comp generally stays on after the initial shut down, im leaning more towards the CPU. Furthermore, Ive been hearing a rattling from one of the fans for maybe six months now, and after closer inspection the last couple days im thinking its the CPU fan and not the tower fans.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on which piece it might be or confirm that it sounds like its the cpu? Money is a little tight so I would prefer to find the source of the problem and fix that, rather than replace the hardware piece by piece until it works. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

Your computer should normally only beep once when it's booted up so if your getting a series of beeps when it boots up than it's trying to tell you something. How many times is it beeping?

#3 SharkyNB

SharkyNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

EVGA motherboards beep depending on your input plugins - ive gotten 4 beeps at startup since I built the computer - its supposed to add an additional string of beeps if there is an issue, and additionally there is a digital readout on the motherboard that displays a code if there is an issue, otherwise it reads CPU temp which is what mine has been displaying.

#4 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

Check your event logs around the times that your computer is crashing and look for a red triangle with a white exclamation mark. Below are instructions on how to check the event log.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Click on the arrow to the left of Windows Logs and then left click once on System. This is going to take a bit to load so just give it time. 

#5 SharkyNB

SharkyNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

Ok checked out event log - looks like two errors popped up around this time, the first error is an HDD controller error? and the other is a timeout on lanmanserver? dunno what that 2nd one is buuuuuut looks like my hard drive is failing? or?

error1.jpg

error2.jpg

#6 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:02 AM

Yeah neither of those errors in the event log would cause the computer to crash. Try looking at the reliability monitor. To get to it go to Control Panel>Action Center>Reliability Monitor. Look for a red circle with a white X in it, which is a critical failure, around the time your computer is crashing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users