Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SPILT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:00 AM

Hi a friend of mine spilt wine on her laptop, i didnt see how much she spilt but she said it was a small bit, anyway she cleaned it up etc, i have tried the laptop there is no visible wetness and the OS is working fine no problems, im just wondering if its eventually goin g to just die because i know if wine hits the MOBO its fecked, or may i be ok

Edited by hamluis, 10 June 2016 - 08:21 AM.
Moved from W10 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

Only time will tell.  Odds are the keyboard will need to be replaced at some point.  A lot of the laptops made today have spill resistant keyboards so that you don't ruin the entire machine if you spill something on it.

#3 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:47 AM

To add, anytime liquid comes in contact with electronics that has a battery,immediately take the battery out and cut any power running to it for a few days. If possible take it apart and let it dry thoroughly before adding any power source.

Throw some Dry, white rice on it as the rice acts as a desiccant and can help speed the drying process. Again, if possible to take the unit apart and gain access to the mobo, grab some of this https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05101-QD-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000CCMLD0

especially if it's a sugary liquid. It will also clean up any oxidation left behind from the liquid. Of course do all this with no battery/power connected. Hope this helps.

Edited by xrobwx, 10 June 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:25 PM

I wouldn't worry about it; if anything was going to short out it would have done so by now, and residue after drying will not conduct electricity, and there is nothing to attack the polymer based components. If, in the unlikely event in the future, a couple of keys get "sticky", just use some alcohol on a paper towel to clean between the keys.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users