Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection down to 1% of what's promised: fraud or a bug?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 psyact

psyact

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:44 AM

I've been looking for an answer for months, haven't gotten anything conclusive to this day, so I'd really appreciate your input. I live in a corrupt country, where companies never deliver what they promise and constantly use shortcuts on everything possible. My ISP is leading the way on that front. It offers 20Mbps download / 5Mbps upload speed and the numbers are true only if I test the bandwidth with Ookla choosing my city as the test point. If I test the speed on any other server abroad (but close to the country I live in), the speed drops to 0.30/ 1.2Mbps and obviously I can't surf the net well; even searching in google and opening ookla site takes forever. It's a very common issue, it happens 3-6 times a week and it can last for hours, usually days, no matter how many times I reset the cable modem. Eventually it goes back to normal, but it does happen too often. The ISP can always hide behind this ookla test set to local server, because although everyone has doubts about the reasons they can't open any page, nobody cares to choose any other server to test their bandwidth or any other bandwidth measuring website for that matter (all the ones that are not based on ookla show extremely disappointing results). I would really appreciate if someone could explain if it's just another way my ISP manipulates these results locally or whether it's a normal phenomenon where the bandwidth suffers such a downfall. I don't know enough about networking and I couldn't find anyone reporting or addressing the same issue online.  

P.S. I do have a fast computer and I do monitor the percentages of memory/CPU used, so it's not about that.

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

Based on the info you gave....your ISP is not providing the service you are paying for. Only your ISP or telephone company can fix the problem.

Assuming you are getting internet through the phone wires and not through cable, satellite or other.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 psyact

psyact
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Actually my ISP uses a cable connection and I'm pretty sure the problem lies on their end. Nonetheless, it's not one of those companies that are going to do anything about it- this failure comes and goes all the time. I'm just trying to understand the theory behind these local vs abroad speed measuring sites, as well as understanding if the company uses it to its advantage while delivering low quality service to the end user. Thanks for the answer

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

Can you provide some technical info on the problem? Modem? Router? Tracert? Speedtests? Signal levels? Anything? I don't see how anyone can say it's a ISP problem with NO data.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

Trikein...did you read the OP? The speed tests are what I was going by.....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

Trikein...did you read the OP? The speed tests are what I was going by.....

How does a speedtest off the ISP network prove it's a ISP issue? Sounds like a peering issue to me. Peerings issues don't automatically mean ISP issue. Can OP post a tracert to the server they are testing from? One to the "fast" server and one to the "slow" server. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users