Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken CPU or Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elusive181

Elusive181

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:02 AM

After months of waiting for two motherboard RMA's, I am still having issues with my computer.

Symptoms:

High CPU load. (Example video.)   I did reset the system to test if it was some program bogging things down, but I still got the same results.

Low GPU load, maximum being 50% even on stress tests (10-20 FPS in Valley).

My computer boots perfectly, etc. It is just extremely slow, comparable to a 2011 laptop that is only worth $200 now.

PC Specs:

Gigabyte Z97 SOC

Gigabyte G1 970

4x4 G. Skill Ares

x61 Kraken

What I have done so far:

Complete reset of Windows (slight performance boost)

Tested PSU (works fine)

Tested GPU (works fine)

Tested RAM (works fine)

Because of the software reset, I think it is a hardware issue, and with the narrowing-down, I would say specifically motherboard or CPU.  My partner has a near-identical computer with a 4690k and z97 mATX mobo. I know there are some issues running different CPUs on the same OS copy. Seeing that they are so close in family/architecture, is it possible to replace my CPU with hers to see if my CPU is broken? Or should I not worry about that at all if my computer is booting fine?

Also, I had to RMA this mobo twice. The first time it was broken after 2 months. The second, it broke after an hour as the "new" motherboard was actually a refurbished one. Could it be likely that this latest motherboard is also failing on me? I believe it was actually new, unlike the first replacement.

I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but I got a BSOD with error code "Memory_management" randomly today while idling the computer.  The only processes were some downloads of games, as I had to reset the whole thing.  Not sure if that is significant.

I would love some thoughts.  Tom's Hardware has only gotten me generic "check your processes" responses. I would dearly love to not have to RMA something, but if I do I want it to be the right product, or not at all if it is this mobo.  This model is giving me too much trouble to RMA one more time if it is once again the culprit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

I have resolved many problems like this with a system repair.  The system disk(s)  are needed to do this.  Some machines that are bundled with a WIN? already loaded have the info needed on the reserved partition to do this.  Without the disk of loaded partition it is difficult to nail down exactly which process is slowing things down.

#3 Elusive181

Elusive181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

I conducted a full system restore...shouldn't it have fixed what the system repair would have done?  That's why I think it's hardware again.  Nonetheless, I'll try the repair.

Edited by hamluis, 15 June 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

The restore only takes you  back to a previous known(?) good system.  A repair looks at all the hardware that is present (that it can detect) and searches the disk for the proper drivers.  When things don't match up with the OS that's loaded, the system will halt, BSOD, dump to a DOS prompt, any number of fault indications.  That's why you can't take a good hard drive from one system to another and get it to work without faults.

#5 Elusive181

Elusive181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:05 AM

Sorry, I meant reset. With Windows 10 a reset means deleting the OS and reinstalling it. It's a new feature to the OS, I believe, and replaces the need booting from a USB or DVD. The hard drive has not been used before for any other systems, so I shouldn't be expecting any formatting issues.

Edited by hamluis, 15 June 2016 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users