Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undecided on a GTX or K series GPU

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rjisinspired

rjisinspired

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

I am looking for a GPU card for editing, previewing and encoding video projects from Vegas and Premiere and maybe some other applications.  I will be doing standard and HD video and multicam editing as well. Sometimes there will be effects added, sometimes not.  At time I will use enhancements.

I was told to go for a higher version Nvidia GTX GPU but I have been reading around and people talk about the Quadro K series GPUs. The GTX's appear to have more CUDA Cores but the Quadros have more memory from what I have read.  A technician at a local computer shop said that a GTX 980 might do but I might not have enough money for one of those. I might for a GTX 970.

A lot of the searches I have done on Youtube demonstrate GPUs mostly for gaming. Only one video demonstrated speedy video encoding but I cannot locate that video again. I won't be doing any gaming. I'm looking for a GPU that can handle live previewing while video editing and fast encoding of video projects.

I have $500 to play with and anything that would be decent for what I am looking to do would be great. Any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for all of your time in reading and responding to this post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:16 PM

Hopefully this little snippet can help you on your way.

Quadro vs. GeForce

I get asked this all the time! I always get great feedback for my Quadro reviews. (Thanks guys!) The questions are generally the same. People wonder if they really need, or could benefit from, a Quadro card. They ask questions like:

"Are they [Quadro cards] really that much faster [than GeForce]?"

"Can you also play games on a Quadro card?"

Unfortunately the real answer isn't as simple as 'yes' or 'no'. While you can play games on a Quadro card, and they do generally perform very well, that's not the whole story. I know what you're thinking though:

"Who cares, does it work?!"

Yes, but keep reading: Your wallet should care in two ways. First, for pure gaming you will get more bang-for-buck out of a GeForce card - A lot more. This can save you some significant mad-money, like $1500-2000. Add that to your Vegas jar. While saving money always sounds great, there's more to think about...

The Quadro lineup is geared toward graphics professionals, engineers, medical imaging, geospatial, or anyone who needs very heavy computational performance. By "heavy" we're not talking photographs and web graphics. Think more along the lines of a 3D model that accurately describes every thread of every bolt in your whole damn car - and all the other parts. Think programs likeAutodesk Maya, The Foundry's Nuke and Nukex, Catia, SolidWorks. For certain video encoders that don't already make use of onboard NVENC (the on-card dedicated hardware encoder for H.264 video) the added CUDA cores of a Quadro can really help. In these cases a Quadro can save you significant dough! We're talking reduced production times here where $2000 is peanuts.

I can attest that for certain programs, including Autodesk Maya, there is an immense difference in real-world performance between a Quadro and a GeForcecard. This is in-viewport performance where I can pan and dolly 1,000 square miles of detailed terrain without breaking a sweat. (The software rendering performance i.e. mentalray is identical.) When the system requirements say "Requires professional graphics card," they mean it!

So does that make Quadro cards faster at gaming? Surprisingly no. They'll be on-par with an equivalent GeForce card, sometimes a touch slower sometimes faster but by no significant margin. Remember, game engines are written with GeForce in mind. Technically, you can play games with a Quadro with pretty-settings cranked up on your workstation, but it's not nirvana.

#3 rjisinspired

rjisinspired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

Thanks TsVk!

What I get from that snippet is that the Quadro based cards are geared more towards more technical stuff which requires extensive rendering and math while the GTX is more for gaming.  This would lead me more to get a Quadro since video encoding / transcoding and multicam editing and previewing are intensive procedures. Yet I am still in the clouds about this since video processing wasn't touched upon in that snippet but I learned something new.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

I think you got the right end of the stick there mate. :thumbup2:

Video processing is the same (as I understand it) in games as it is with video production.

#5 rjisinspired

rjisinspired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

Sweet deal.  Thanks again :thumbsup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users