Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do I do with my ssd?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jrod_34

Jrod_34

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

I was recommended that I get an ssd for my boot drive so I did that. I got an ssd, went into my bios and made it my first boot drive. Now I don't know what to do with it. Or what to put on it or how

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2016 - 05:19 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:04 PM

Basically, your boot drive needs to contain your operating system (Windows I presume) and program files directories, as a minimum.  Windows also by default likes to have the Users folder on drive c:, although there is no problem with having the Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures etc. folders on another disk.  You can either clone the existing installation from your HDD, or install fresh from scratch.  Some SSD makers provide software to make it easy to clone a Windows install.  The difficulties may arise if your SSD is too small to fit all your data on to, in which case you'll need to select which folders to clone and which to ignore (how you do it will depend on exactly what software you are using to clone the disk).

In order to boot your machine and perform the cloning operation, you'll have to switch the boot drive back to your old HDD in BIOS.  Here is a guide for using Easus Backup to do the cloning - http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows 

To do a fresh install, just boot off your Windows CD or USB key and install the operating system to the SSD! Make sure not to overwrite or format your existing disk by mistake (you can temporarily disconnect it to be double sure)...

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

The above excellent advice is pretty much exactly what I would say --Once you have installed the SSD  if you had a previous regular SATA hard drive with your operating system installed on it, you simply boot to the BIOS and set the regular SATA hard drive as primary boot (to make sure your new SSD is secondary), and then you would use the SSD software utility within windows to "clone" your operating system and programs to the new SSD. Example Sandisk, and Samsung SSD's come with (or you can use their site to download) a software cloning utility for their respective SSD's. Once it finishes and you have cloned your old drive you then boot back to your BIOS and set the SSD as primary boot drive. Once in the operating system you can then "wipe" or rather erase the previous partition on your regular SATA hard drive, and then use computer management to reformat it (quick format works fine) and name the volume, something like "Storage/Backups/Apps" that is what I use. After that you are good to go.

If you simply have your new SSD in your system by itself you can just install your operating system again as you normally would with a fresh install. The motherboard you have already uses a legacy type BIOS do no need to change any UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) stuff.

#4 CECII

CECII

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:35 AM

Then you need to clone your old drive to your new SSD so that you can have an identical copy of everything on drive, or you can only migrate OS from old drive to SSD. Here, one thing you should pay attention to while cloning drive is that:  if your SSD is larger or smaller than old drive, you should edit partitions size to fit the SSD. In this way, you can make full use of the larger drive so as  to get greater storage space, or you can make sure the clone job achievable without losing data you need. To do so, you need a clone software and the free AOMEI Backupper is what I prefer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users