Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop repeatedly crashing after an attempt to fix malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nollydee

nollydee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

hello. I made a topic within the last month as to why my laptop did not work originally. I will link the full story right under this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614455/dounty-malwareadware-ruined-my-computer/#entry4007597

basically what happened was that I got the dounty.com redirect adware, I followed multiple steps on a fix-it link from the website malwaretips, and now my laptop is in an infinite loop of me signing in and it restarting.

recently I was finally able to download the program that were necessary for fixing the adware on my laptop onto a flash drive. however, that does not solve the issue of my laptop force restarting and not giving me the option to safe restart, or even factory reset, when I press ANY of the F-keys, the windows key, or any key I can think of. I have tried pressing and holding, double pressing, triple pressing, so on and so forth. it will still take me straight to the login screen and after I login I get the message that my laptop has run into an issue and will need to restart because of it.

this specific laptop does not have a disc slot, so I am not able to recover the original settings in that way either. :( any help would be greatly appreciated, I have not been able to access my laptop or it's files in over a month.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

There are several ways to enter Setup Utility (F1) or the Boot Menu (F12) on a Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 PC as explained below:

1. Press and hold the Power Button for few seconds to turn off your system completely. This will make the PC perform a full shutdown instead of a hybrid shutdown.
    Then F1 or F12 can be pressed successfully during startup. ...(tap the key about once per second)
  2. If you press F1, it will take you to Setup Utility. Go to Startup tab -> Boot device List F12 Option and make sure is "Enabled".
  3. Then press F10 to save and exit.
  4. Press F12 button immediately as Thinkpad logo appears to enter Boot Menu. Select your drive using arrow key and press Enter.
    Or
  5. You can press F12 instead of F1, if the Boot device List is enabled before.

Note: F1 is to enter BIOS Setup and F12 is to enter Boot Menu (Contain a number of different device options to boot to, including CD, DVD, Flash or hard drives, and a LAN (network))

I am posting this in an attempt to get your laptop started again.

If this is successful, then I would strongly advise you to reopen your topic where Oh My! was handling it. He is far and away better versed than I am to handle this type of problem.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users