Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

securely erase and restore a windows 98 desktop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kovaltry

Kovaltry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

Hi, I have a dinosaur pc running windows 98 that I would like to donate to goodwill. I was wondering if there is a guide to securely wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS for it (I have the windows 98 disc that it came with). I read somewhere that there are softwares to wipe the hard drive but they do not work or do not work as well for older OS. I can restore the OS but I guess that still leaves personal information liable to be recovered. I would love to leave the hard drive in there instead of taking it out so it can still be useful for somebody else.

It has like 500mb ram and 80g of hard drive. I can't believe I paid $1200 for it back then. How time has changed :lmao:.

Thank you very much and have a blessed day to all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

You can wipe the disk with DBAN or create a bootable disk of Partition Wizard and do a Disk Wipe. Use one of the DoD wipes if you want to secure Wipe it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 June 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#3 Kovaltry

Kovaltry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:53 PM

thank you so much for the information. Actually I just realized what I have is two quick restore cds from the manufacturer (compaq). As part of the instruction it says "ensure your PC is turned on and Windows is running." If I wipe the hard drive then would it be a problem because windows is gone also? I personally find it strange that the instruction would say that because a quick restore cd shouldn't need any preexisting windows platform to run should it?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

Yes. If the restore disks needs a functional OS then you do not want to wipe the disk. I have never heard of this myself but this may be a Windows 98 issue. If I remember correctly the original Windows 98, not 98SE, the install CD could not boot and required a startup floppy to be booted first. This may be why you need to install on a running OS. Does the restore disk boot by itself.

To be safe you should do a DoD wipe and then reinstall Windows 98. You can get a Windows 98 disk on ebay for about $20. Goodwill will take the computer even if there is no OS on it. 

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:11 AM

In the old days, I did plenty of "dirty installs," meaning reinstalling, refreshening, Windows 95, 98, 98SE right on top of the existing Windows.  Even went from 95 to 98, then from 98 to 98SE this way.  I had my backups at the ready, didn't lose anything as far as data is concerned.  Had to redo some of the display, look&feel, etc., settings.

I've used DBAN a couple of times; when it finished, only the NSA or FBI could have maybe recovered bitsNpieces of data; certainly not like un-deleting a file from Recycle Bin.

Edited by RolandJS, 13 June 2016 - 09:11 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users