Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing My Father's Old Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Awsomethesecond

Awsomethesecond

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

My father has a old Windows XP desktop computer, in our basement. It has been unused for weeks, ever since our dog, ate the keybord and mouse. Now heres the thing, ive tried to clean it up before. Definetly made progress although very little. Im think ill use some Dust Off on the computer, just in case. It takes over 15 minutes to uninstall ANYTHING, and OPEN anything. So we are switching internet providers, and he is thinking of letting me have the Router and Modem in my room, so i will need to buy him a WiFi adapter. So heres my plan:

1. Make USB of CCleaner Portable
2. Get some sort of quick portable anti-virus put it on USB.
3. Wait for CCleaner to open, then scan and clean.
4. After, use the USB Anti-Virus and run scan
5. After both of those things hopefully it has speed up?
6. Run Windows Disk Cleanup
7. Run Windows Drive Defragment
8. Uninstall unneeded junk.
9. Use Windows Update

OR could i somehow get rid of l XP, and install Ubuntu or etc?

PLEASE HELP ME! IS THIS A GOOD PLAN? Please give me some advice and some of the above.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

Personally I would wipe the drive and install Ubuntu or Mint. How much RAM does the computer have and what CPU? 

Or do 1-8 and see how the computer runs. As you know XP is no longer supported with security updates. I would not do any banking or internet purchases on the XP computer. There are know security holes that have not been patched by Microsoft.

#3 Awsomethesecond

Awsomethesecond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

I dont know about the RAM or CPU. I will try doing my plan. I still need to update the computer to the latest/last updates of Windows XP.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

Right click My Computer and select Properties. It will be under the General Tab.

system-properties-logo.jpg

#5 Awsomethesecond

Awsomethesecond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

I currently do not have a keyboard, or mouse. I think im just gonna wipe it for Ubuntu. When i get a keyboard and mouse i will return. Probably, on Sunday, or Monday

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

You need at least 1GB or RAM in order for Ubuntu to run reasonably well.

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:44 PM

It has been unused for weeks, ever since our dog, ate the keybord and mouse.

Lol. At least he didn't eat the computer too.

So heres my plan:
1. Make USB of CCleaner Portable
2. Get some sort of quick portable anti-virus put it on USB.
3. Wait for CCleaner to open, then scan and clean.
4. After, use the USB Anti-Virus and run scan
5. After both of those things hopefully it has speed up?
6. Run Windows Disk Cleanup
7. Run Windows Drive Defragment
8. Uninstall unneeded junk.
9. Use Windows Update

PLEASE HELP ME! IS THIS A GOOD PLAN? Please give me some advice and some of the above.

Nice little project you've got. Your plan makes sense to me. Mine would be slightly different but that's just a matter of personal preference.

I would:
1. Check for a recovery partition. If yes, I would do a factory restore. If no, I would proceed with the rest of the steps.
2. See if there are any restore points. If yes, use the oldest possible.
3. Uninstall any junk programs.
4. Defragment.
5. Do a disk cleanup.
6. Update to service pack 3.
7. Run a malware scan of the entire operating system partition. If clean, good. If dirty, I'd wipe the drive and install a Linux distro.
8. Check to see how big the pagefile is. If quite small, I would increase it, especially if the system has little RAM.

If you do get XP cleaned up and running great again, I would suggest making a backup of the operating system so you can restore it back to that state should you ever need to.

OR could i somehow get rid of l XP, and install Ubuntu or etc?

I dont know about the RAM or CPU.

I think im just gonna wipe it for Ubuntu.

If the specs are good then Ubuntu is fine, otherwise you may have to go with something lighter like Xubuntu, Lubuntu, or LXLE. I'd suggest Lubuntu. If the specs are really poor, you may have to find something even lighter than that like PuppyLinux (TahrPup is a popular puplet) or TinyCoreLinux. I'd suggest you try the OS from a live-DVD to see if your hardware (especially your network/internet connection) work out-of-box under the distro, before you install it.

If you have never used Linux before, I would suggest trying it on the live-DVD for a while before commiting. Even then you might consider a dual-boot with Windows XP rather than completely obliterating it, just in case you decide you don't like Linux. Linux and Windows are quite different.

#8 Awsomethesecond

Awsomethesecond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:51 AM

Ok!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users