Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup will not complete, says not enough room

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aer

aer

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

I am trying to make a system image of my drive before switching to Windows 10 (I guess that is now necessary to stay safe)  I bought a new Seagate external drive with 1TB on it, my computer has less than 500GB but every time I try to create a system image it says it cannot be completed because a critical volume does not have enough space.  Error #0x81000033  Can anyone help?  

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2016 - 05:43 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backups/Images - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:08 PM

1. You must add memory, if not enough or select, what to backup;
2. If You will upgrade system, there isn't needed nothing to backup, because Your files will stay all on the same place, only Windows will be upgraded;
3. If You say, that 1TB is not enough, then it is not computer, then it is already small server. Why should be in computer so much stored? Use some other place for storing.

#3 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:33 PM

I don't think you understood.  I am trying to make a system image before I upgrade to 10.  I have seen that you should do this.  My computer has less than 500 GB on it - I am a photographer.   My new seagate backup drive is 1TB,  much bigger than the data on my computer.  But windows says there is not enough room on the Seagate to backup the data on my laptop.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

Forget the "system image".  Use Macrium Reflect or other software to either make a backup or clone the existing partition/drive.

Louis

#5 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

Thank you, I am downloading Macrium Reflect.  It says it contains Microsoft winP components?  I went ahead and downloaded since I trust bleeping computer!

Ann

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:56 PM

Make sure you create the Rescue Media in Macrium. Make sure all boxes on checked on the disk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQA7NlLvxg8

#7 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

Watched the video but still a little confused between making a clone or an image of the drive

#8 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

Read the instructions!  I have it now, I need a full image.

Thank you all!

Ann

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:49 PM

Yes, you do not want to clone. You want to create a complete disk image to your external drive. After the image is created you can double click the image file and it will mount to a virtual drive letter allowing you to explore the contents of the the image file. To unmount the image right click the drive letter of the virtual drive letter in Computer and select Eject.

#10 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users