Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you think of this Asus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

I've owned only one other computer, which was a Toshiba Satellite laptop for 5.5 years before it recently died.  It had a Celeron processor and 2GB of RAM.  I was generally satisfied with it, other than that the HDD died after 1 year and needed a replacement.  Also, so many glitches and software problems and sometimes slow running that seemed mostly caused by software problems that I could never seem to permanently resolve.

So with that in mind, I just noticed that the one I've had my eye on for awhile as a "next" computer is now on sale for $20 off.  It's an Asus.  I'd like to get the input of others here about this brand and the features on this particular model: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver/4831500.p?id=bb4831500&skuId=4831500 

What I know about so far is the basic specs.  It's 1TB HDD, i3 Processor and 4GB of RAM.  But how about quality and reputation?

Edited by Toshiba2015, 09 June 2016 - 02:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:26 AM

For the most part Asus has a really good reputation within the computer industry and most would say top rate. One thing i have learned about building computers for such a long time is that sometimes it can go by the specfic model rather than a brand. Take an Asus, or Gigabyte computer motherboard - any specific one. Where one will be top rated another of the same brand and generation will not be so well recieved . It depends on the design, and the BIOS implementation. In the case of laptops, it has a lot to do with the hardware used, and the design along with the thermal characterisitcs to control heat in a small enclosure. Asus, Dell, Toshiba, and MSI do a very good job with that. You should be in good hands with that model.

Edited by Zone_86, 10 June 2016 - 05:27 AM.

#3 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:50 PM

For the most part Asus has a really good reputation within the computer industry and most would say top rate. One thing i have learned about building computers for such a long time is that sometimes it can go by the specfic model rather than a brand. Take an Asus, or Gigabyte computer motherboard - any specific one. Where one will be top rated another of the same brand and generation will not be so well recieved . It depends on the design, and the BIOS implementation. In the case of laptops, it has a lot to do with the hardware used, and the design along with the thermal characterisitcs to control heat in a small enclosure. Asus, Dell, Toshiba, and MSI do a very good job with that. You should be in good hands with that model.

Thanks Zone!  The reason I was concerned about them is because I did a google search of the company and found quite a bit of nasty stuff said about them: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/asus.html  right after I did a search of computer company rankings and found what looked to be very promising: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings and noticed Asus is ranked at #3.  My previous computer was a Toshiba.  Look what position they ranked in!  So when I saw that, I figured Asus would be no problem, until I came across that first link.  So, I wasn't sure what to think.

Edited by Toshiba2015, 11 June 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:34 AM

You are welcome!  Asus laptops are very good from what I have seen. Asus definitely has a commitment to quality hardware and that is really key with laptops. If the design is good and likewise the materials used and assembly are good along with the warranty you should be fine. Asus is good in all of those respects.

Edited by Zone_86, 19 June 2016 - 03:35 AM.

#5 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:15 PM

You are welcome!  Asus laptops are very good from what I have seen. Asus definitely has a commitment to quality hardware and that is really key with laptops. If the design is good and likewise the materials used and assembly are good along with the warranty you should be fine. Asus is good in all of those respects.

I ended up with a better Dell computer that went on a clearance sale for 25% off.  More RAM, touchscreen and probably more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users